Face to Face

Every day goes by and you dream a scene.

One where they come back and you don’t.

You feel at peace and somehow alive.

Then you wake up. And face to face with yourself you wonder why? Why are you here and they are not? Was it by some choice of God, a wonder of the universe, or did you just get lucky?

Every day goes and when night falls and the person beside you turns away because they are hurt by your distance you cry out. They don’t hear. You were not loud enough.

So everything goes on and you can’t even get up anymore and every time you go back outside it hurts because they have no idea, they don’t want to know. They would rather send you back to fight their war that they created while they stand and make speeches and you get down pulling your friend back, and suddenly they're gone. You don’t know how, you can’t fathom why.

An emptiness consumes and you feel alone. Suddenly the embrace you fought so hard to return to just doesn’t seem like enough anymore, and all you are left to dream about is what you think should have been and then it’s gone. Gone like the one you loved for so long. Who stood by you and pushed you out of the way, and made you laugh, and kept telling you to think of home because you’ll see it again one day. You both will.

They were wrong.

So you go on to live another day, and then another still hearing their voice and feeling their hand on your shoulder, a pat on the back when they find you crying out her name, or hugging his letter to your chest. They tell you, "you’ll see them again, and so will I."

They were wrong.