82 • Hospital Tales

Stuck in a never-ending loop of memories, Reina decided she hated being in a medically induced sleep.

There they were, little her and teenage Harui, in the library of that house. Little her was crying into Harui's shoulder, full-on sobbing and wailing. Her hands and shirt were stained with dried blood, and her face turned purple from the lack of oxygen.

"I didn't wanna do it!"

"I know, Nana. I know."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry...agh...ugh...Victoire, I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Oh, so it was that day. "I'm sorry...ugh...I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Mirai...Mirai, I'm sorry...I'm...agh...I'm so...I'm sorry...I'm sorry...Victoire...Victoire...I'm sorry."

Her sobs got caught in her throat, ruining the words she had cried out. Reina watched as this version of Harui placed his hand on the back of her head, running it slowly down her spine. She watched with a sense of emptiness and impassiveness as he hugged her the way she hadn't been hugged in years.

"Nana, you need to breathe," her brother murmured as softly as he could, moving her until she was pressed to his chest. "Breathe, Nana...breathe. She understood...I'm sure Victoire understood. I'm sorry, Nana...I'm sorry I couldn't help you."

Yes, it was always like that. Even back then, Harui stood beside Father. He had his hands wrung behind his back despite his impassive face, and he watched as she held the gun with trembling hands, pointing the barrel at the woman—her mentor, her mother—tied up on the chair.

He didn't help her, not even by begging Father. Then again, if he had, Father would've most definitely killed them all. Back then, they were nothing but powerless children, all forced to make regretful decisions to survive. Reina wouldn't hold it against him, and that was something she had decided ages ago. Harui lived a life of regretful choices as much as she did, after all.

Even so, she couldn't help but feel bitter.

"You're my pride and joy, Reina." Victoire grinned, a tear falling out of her eye as she pressed her head closer to the shaking gun, glassy blue eyes staring straight into hers. "Do what you must."

Was she though? Was she really deserving to be Victoire's pride and joy? She always seemed to fuck up and spiral deeper and deeper into the darkness. Could she really be called someone's pride and joy? Or was it because that someone happened to also have a tainted soul that it was okay?

"Nana." The scenery changed again. She was back in the library, little her sitting on the chair that she claimed as hers while Harui had one knee on the floor. Now that was a strange sight, seeing Harui kneeling on the floor. "What do you want to do?"

Oh, I remember this. It was the turning point of her life. It was the moment when she decided to stop being a docile weapon. It was the moment when she decided to rebel and lash out without a hint of subtlety. It was the moment when she decided to publicly betray Hokusei Shiki.

"I want revenge!" Little her declared, and Reina wondered where that fire in her eyes had disappeared to. "I want to destroy Hokusei Shiki's Hokkyokusei! I want to make Shiki suffer! I want him to lose everything he had worked for! I want to destroy him until he destroys himself in despair!"

Bold words no ten-year-old kid should ever say, yet that was her wish back then.

"I understand." Holding her hand, Harui pressed his forehead to her knuckles. "Everything will go as you want, Nana," he vowed. "Use me however you wish." His smile was, for once, genuine. "I promise you the whole world will know just how great you are, and I'll make sure the entirety of Father's Hokkyokusei and Father himself will grovel and beg for your mercy and forgiveness."