Journey For Kuuno (Concept Story)

They had set off as the sun set, and now a while later they were left in the cold vibrant aura of magic hour. Wyatt takes off his hood and sighs in relief. Yeshen holds a child's hand as they walk. On her back she carries camping equipment and a rifle. On Wyatt's back they carry human food, blood bags, as well as first aid, a knife, and flint. Wyatt's cloak keeps them from burning in the daylight. The light that seeped through to his eyes was uncomfortable, and usually vision was manageable, other times, however, light was a blanket of white, pierced only by shadow and shade. Night was their home now, and its return was always welcome.

He looks at Yeshen and the child. "I don't think I know this kid's name."

Yeshen smiles and says, "I do. He's Kuuno." Wyatt looks to the ground kicking about the sticks.

"Kuuno, huh? Neat name." They jump onto a log and balance across it. Their travels continue as magic hour turns to the pitch black comfort of night. Wyatt turns to Yeshen. "Say, how's your energy? Weren't you supposed to wake up at night?"

She keeps pace as she thinks, her movements are slight and small to keep her grip on the child steady. She sighs. "I wish you hadn't mentioned it, because now I'm thinking about it and I am very tired."

Wyatt chuckles. "Perhaps we should set up camp for the night?"

"What of Kuuno's curse?"

"You're the doctor's assistant–didn't you and the Master both say he has two days? The village isn't far."

She hums. "True..."

"Then we should be okay, I think?"

"Sure. Let's get off our general path and set up the equipment." She stops and looks around.

"Hey, you told me to care about my sleep. That goes for you too."

"Yeah, alright you little rascal." They mark their path back to the dirt road as they set up camp to the side. Wyatt keeps an eye on the kid as they let him stumble around while helping Yeshen with the tent. Despite the child's impending curse, he seems relatively carefree for now. As Yeshen hands Wyatt some stakes to hold onto, Kuuno waddles over and tries to grab them.

"K wanna help!"

"Woah there," Wyatt laughs awkwardly, moving the stakes away, "It's nice you want to help, Kuuno, but this is some heavy stuff."

"K wanna help!!"

"Ehh?" Wyatt looks around for Yeshen's assistance. She's obscured by the tent. He awkwardly kicks a branch over to Kuuno. "You can help with this, it's a, um, a branch of protection, as long as you hold it, we're safe!"

"Really?" Kuuno asks.

"Yeah, uh, definitely." The kid swings the small branch around with a smile and waddles about a bit as the two finish the tent. Yeshen dusts her hands off, content with her work as Wyatt sparks a fire. Yeshen ushers Kuuno into the tent as they both settle down. Wyatt sits and watches the gentle warmth contrast against the dark. Wyatt would sleep at some point, but his body no longer worked on the same clock–days could pass before he'd finally doze.

Much had happened in recent months and he hadn't yet processed it. Almost dying, then his turning–Such drastic changes to his life. The day's events had stirred these again, and in silence they were restless. Listening to the woods, Wyatt takes the opportunity to take a walk.

The firelight fades as they begin to wander away. The forest has an otherworldly aura to it; the trees grew in wild variations, and Old World buildings littered its interiors . Largely unkempt and left to rot, only a few were used and maintained in their village. While wandering, Wyatt stumbles across one such building–rusted fences lay strewn on the ground, while a sign stands resolute in upright posture. Time had worn off its identity, unreadable and scratched, its purpose lost to time. Aways out, a doorless threshold to this sarcophagus. Wyatt ventures inside, taking in echoes of a long lost time. The inside was exposed, as holes covered every surface. The sound of the forest permeating all of it.