Chapter 1

N901's POV:

N901 woke up to both a bang on its door, and the potent stench of blood, the smell still managing to be overwhelming despite nearly 11 years of being around it. Its door was now wide open, unveiling to it the horrors outside.

Instead of the usual flurry of workers and subjects at Victax Laboratory, the place was drop-dead silent, bodies strewn across the pristine white halls - one even laying in front of it - only enhancing the appearance of the violence. Blood was generously shed, some areas completely drenched in the substance.

It stood there, horrified. The creeping sensation of emptiness washed over it as well, only working to scare the poor subject much more. It should have been sobbing, breaking down in terror, but it just couldn't. Everyone is... gone?

No... no. No! Nobody's dead! This isn't real, I have to be dreaming! It thought, desperately trying to forget what it saw. Nobody could be dead, it still had yet to be fully used. It was a subject, for crying out loud! If it weren't being used, it was nothing, nothing at all.

It should have been used to bodies and blood, as throughout its life it had been cut open, injected, beaten, and all sorts of other terrifying things, yet this is what sent them into a frenzied panic.

It ran away from the bloodied halls, concealing its face in its hands, not daring to look up until it heard the sound of two voices.

"Hey Em, ya heard that?" It was distracted by the sound a raucous voice had asked.

"If you're talking about a running sound Lux, I sure did," A flat voice responded.

"That means one of the people here is still alive! Let's get their ass-" The raucous voice was soon cut off, "No. Remember, there could be anyone here," the flat voice, identified as Em cut off. "Piss off, I'm gonna check it out!" The raucous voice, now called Lux retorted.

N901 was overwhelmed by everything: the stench of blood, the sight of bodies, worries, and troubles, and- Stop thinking, idiot. You don't need to think. Despite its insults to itself, it couldn't help but feel panicked and dizzy.

It had no eye on its surroundings, staggering uncoordinated, until it noticed that it was in a room with two people in it, staring at it in shock.

"What the..." a girl with short, black hair whispered.

They stumbled back, falling onto the floor. When it realized its situation, it booked it right out of the room. Footsteps trailed behind it, with one of the duo shouting "Hey kid, get back here!", only working to worry it more.

Hide... must hide! Distracted by its thoughts once again, it fell, and a snap could be heard. It let out a scream in pain, still trying to drag itself away. As it slowly calmed down, it could feel a breath escape as a hand went to its shoulder.

Lux's POV:

"Holy shit kid, you run so damn fast! Knockin' the wind outta me here," Lux panted, trying to catch her breath. The kid stared at her, mouth agape in horror. She pulled them up to their feet, shouting "Em! Get your ass in here, I found someone!"

Em followed soon after, panting "How the hell- they're still in here? I thought we evacuated the last bunch!" Lux shrugged, turning her attention back to a now empty spot.