- 4 -

_______

_______

Since Jungkook leaves him no choice, Jimin follows him like a lost puppy. But also, Jimin is interested in what Jungkook is going to do. He can't help but feel curious. Silence filters through Jimin's room as soon as they enter, and it causes him to fiddle nervously with his fingers.

Jungkook takes the first step towards Jimin, contemplating what he can do to make him stop shedding tears. He dislikes seeing Jimin in that state. Jungkook admits he was cold towards him, but he's confused why Jimin reacted like this.

"Tell me, why are you suddenly crying?"

Jimin swallows hard, watching as Jungkook takes a seat on his bed. It seems as if his mood has taken a 180-degree turn, and that unsettles him. His gaze darts to Jungkook's fingers tracing over the white blanket he put on yesterday. The atmosphere is tense, and then Jungkook's eyes are on him again.

"Why are you asking me? You didn't care about my feelings before. Why now?" Jimin's voice cracks as another tear rolls down his cheek. He's a mess.

Jungkook doesn't react at first. He's playing with the fabric of the blanket until finally a sigh leaves his thin lips. "I'll tell you if you tell me why you're crying and what you meant before. Come take a seat. I can't stand seeing you hurt because of me."

For some unknown reason, Jungkook's heart tightens at the sight, and he wants to make it stop.

"Tell me what you mean by that no one wants to talk to you. Is that why you're reacting like this?"

Jimin hesitantly nods, averting his gaze to his fingers. Can he trust him? Will he make fun of him too if he knows what he's been through?

"I-in school, I am kind of like an outsider... I have no friends. S-so when I found out Jaehyun had a son, I was hoping that maybe we could be friends, but obviously you don't want that, and so I won't be asking you about it any more-"

"Is that the whole truth? Why are you an outsider? Because you have no friends?"

Jimin shrugs and takes a step towards the bed, eventually sitting down. He scrunches up his nose in discomfort at the memories he has lived through.

"I guess they don't like introverts."

It is only half the truth, but Jimin is not ready to tell Jungkook the entire truth. What if he laughs too? So far, he doesn't even know why he acted the way he did towards him.

When he receives only silence in response, he looks up to see Jungkook's eyebrows drawing together in thought. What he might be thinking?

"I understand," Jungkook murmurs and adds, "I don't see why this should be an issue, though." It is visible that Jungkook does not understand why this is a reason why nobody talks to him.

"Anyways..." Jungkook takes a deep breath and looks down into his lap to where his hands play with his jeans. "Thank you for being honest with me. I have trust issues. There have been too many people in my life as my friends who I thought were my friends but weren't.

When my father told me I'd get a stepbrother, I didn't want to go through the same, particularly since I'd have to live with you for at least a few years. I wouldn't be able to cut you out of my life just like that, so I built a wall around me. It's no excuse, but I just thought about how it would protect me. When I saw you crying, I realised that maybe I had acted too hastily and that not everyone is like that. I haven't even given you a chance. I'm sorry. Are you really showing your true self?"

Jimin holds his breath for a second. The questions slightly shock him. Does he really look like he would imply something? Then his thoughts wander to the situation Jungkook told him about, and it must be that he really can't trust anyone besides his father.

"I'm showing you my true self," Jimin mumbles and sighs. "But ehm- If you don't want to talk to me in school, that's fine, but let us talk at home. I wouldn't mind not being friends that fast? We could take our time?"

Jungkook nods in understanding, and a wave of shock overcomes him at how honest and warm Jimin seems to be. Seeing now how shy he appears makes him sad that no one wants to talk to him in school. Even introverts deserve the chance of having friends.

Before Jungkook realises what he is doing, he has already wrapped his arms around Jimin's tender body and has him pressed against him.

"J-jungkook?"

"Thank you for giving me time and not pushing me into anything. It means a lot to me."

At that moment, Jimin can sense that something is about to change in their dynamic, and he somehow returns the embrace.

Later in the evening, Jimin's feeling is confirmed when he sits next to Jungkook on the sofa and for the first time in a while with a bright smile, watching a film together. He has learned that Jungkook likes to watch science fiction films or to cook and try out new recipes. Something they have in common, so they decide to maybe cook something together.

It will take time for them to get to know each other better, but Jimin is determined not to give up.

________

Please don't forget to comment and vote if you liked this chapter 🫶🏻