Chapter 1

It's storming again. Why should I expect anything different from this city? My mother and I have lived here our whole lives, so why am I surprised when the sun doesn’t shine for two weeks at a time?
“Eleanor!” my mother calls. 
“I'm coming!” I yell back.
“Eleanor Persephone Adeena, where have you been!?” she shrieks.
“I'm sorry. I must've zoned out. It won’t happen again.”  It will probably happen again. But she doesn’t have to know that.   I am 27 years old and I am still here. Obeying the same laws. Like many of the other families in this city, you earn your freedom. If you don’t get that far, then you are stuck. Stuck inside the bubble of what this city is. That city is  Seattle.
“Eat your breakfast fast. We don’t have much time.”
“I'm trying.” and I leave it at that. Today will be earnest. I suspect. Two minutes later, we are putting on our coats and walking out our front door.
“Stay by my side and don’t leave my sight!” My mother reminds me.
“Yes ma’am,” is all that I can manage.
“You never know when one of “Them” will run up and try something!”
Silence. I nod. She reminds me every day that “They” are not humane. That “They” are not capable of feeling emotion. That what “They” do is immoral. “They” are evil. She warns me. “They” are the Elysians. And we have been told to despise them. As soon as you're old enough to comprehend basic things, they fill your brain with the stories of the Elysians. It is now a requirement through New Seattle that all 5-10 year olds must go through a "Basic Training." In that training, they teach about what the Elysians do that New Seattle despises.