Worthless

He'd done it. Brendan had become champion. Wally hears the news with an unsurprised expression. "Ah... he really did it." He smiles softly. "I guess it's not so surprising is it, Gallade?" 

Wally turns to Gallade, Gallade looking back at him with a slightly worried expression. "Gallade." Gallade nods in agreement. "I wonder if he'll remember us when he's become famous." Wally lets out an empty chuckle. 

"Wally!" A voice comes running over from the distance startling the green-haired boy. "Oh, I heard of what happened! Haha!" Wally smiles warmly. "Congratulations." 

Brendan nearly trips on himself before engulfing Wally in a hug. "Yes, I am so happy! I ran all the way over here to tell you!" Brendan grins. Wally blushes and begins to pet the back of Brendan's head. "You didn't have to run all the way over here you know... you could have stayed there longer." Wally stares blankly at the surroundings behind Brendan. 

"I know... but I was just really excited to tell you because you were the one that helped me get this far! I really owe it all to you." Brendan lets go of his embrace on Wally and smiles at him. Wally falls silent. "Oh, I'm sorry did I say something?" Brendan watches Wally with a dumbfounded expression. 

"...No, you didn't do anything. Sorry." Wally replies blankly. Brendan stares at him for what felt like a few minutes before speaking up. "Hey... if you want to talk about something I'm here to listen. It's alright." Brendan says nervously. Wally shakes his head. "I-It's nothing." Wally says turning his head away from Brendan. 

Brendan freezes up unknowing of what to say before sitting down by a nearby tree Wally joining him. A few minutes go by as Brendan watches the night sky above them before Wally's Gallade taps his shoulder. Brendan looks over to find Wally tearing up. "A-Ah?! A-Are you okay?" Brendan asks worryingly. "I-I'm sorry... I don't want to ruin your moment." Wally sniffles wiping his tears on his sleeve. 

"W-Wha?! What are you talking about?" Brendan hesitantly places a hand on Wally's shoulder. "Your moment... you wanted to become champion for so long... I don't mean to ruin your memory by being an emotional baby." Wally cries. Brendan confusedly pulls Wally close as Wally clings onto Brendan's shirt sobbing into it. 

"You didn't ruin anything don't worry! I-I don't know why you're sad though. Please tell me." Brendan asks rubbing Wally's back in small circles. Wally continues to cry into Brendan's shirt for a few minutes before suddenly answering. "It's just... I've never won a single battle with you... " He sniffles once again. "...I don't know what's wrong with me. I can never do anything right and here you are becoming champion. I don't mean for it to sound selfish but I'm so jealous of you. I am jealous of everything about you." Wally's body trembles. 

"Wally, you aren't-" Brendan gets cut off. "Yes, I am! I am so useless and worthless! I should just give up already. I'll never get anywhere even the hardest I try. I never do." Wally tightens his grip on Brendan's shirt as he struggles to breathe properly. 

"A-Ah-! Please don't hurt yourself..." Brendan strokes Wally's hair silently for a few minutes as he thinks of what to say. "Wally. You are the most talented person I have ever met. I know you have never won a battle against me throughout our travels, but that doesn't mean that you can't. We have fought so many times before and every time you've helped me grow to become a better trainer. I really owe you. You never give up no matter what happens and that's why I look up to you. I want you to keep moving forward, okay?. You are the strongest person I have ever met. I hate to see you like this, but please let everything you need out. I'll always be here for you." Brendan says comfortingly. 

Wally sniffles before burying his head further into Brendan's chest as they both lay there cuddling for a long while. "Thank you." Wally mumbles shyly. "You're welcome." Brendan chuckles. The two lay there for about 10 minutes before Brendan realizes that Wally had fallen asleep in his arms exhausted. He smiles. 

"Gallade, can you take Wally back home? I think it's best to let him sleep for now." Gallade nods before picking up Wally from Brendan. "Gall, gall." Brendan sits up before brushing himself off as he looks back at the sleeping boy. "Sweet dreams." Brendan smiles softly before placing a kiss on Wally's cheek. 

Little did Brendan know that the sleeping boy was awake for that whole entire moment and blushed profusely as soon as he got home.