29. Family Cookout

My ponytail swung side-to-side after every step I took down the stairs. I pushed back the strands that were falling over my eyes as I reached the final step.

       "You're sure that I won't be intruding?" Sara asked. She was waiting at the bottom of the stairs with a sleeping Sophie in her arms.

       "I already informed Mrs McKeller that you would be coming as well. She said it was perfectly alright," I assured.

       "What about Adrian?"

       "What about me?" As if on cue Adrian emerged from the living room. He was dressed in a casual black t-shirt, gray slacks, and black shoes. He turned to Sara with a gentle smile. "I have no problem with Sophie and you coming along. The more the merrier."

"Thank you, Adrian. I really appreciate both of your kindness," Sara replied with a grateful smile.

"The car is ready, sir." The head maid announced.

Adrian grabbed my hand and we walked out toward the awaiting SUV. Sara and Sophie climbed into the third row of seats, while Adrian and I sat in the second row. The chauffeur closed the door before walking to the driver's seat and starting the car. Before he could pull out of the driveway, James car pulled up at the gates.

        "What is he doing here?" Adrian mumbled to himself.

       After getting approval from the from guards, James pulled his car up behind ours. His usual suit was replaced with a pair of blue jeans and light brown t-shirt. His hair was flying freely with no gel holding it back. He looked handsome, but not as handsome as Adrian.

       I glanced back at Sara who was eyeing him curiously. The interested glint in her eyes told me that she liked him—a lot.

       "What are you doing here?" Adrian asked as he lowered the window.

       James opened his mouth and closed it back up as his eyes wondered to the back window where Sara was seated.

       "Just wanted to drop by and check in. Is it bad that I want to see how my best-friend and his soon-to-be wife are doing?" James raised a brow as he played it out coolly.

       Adrian raised a brow with a knowing smile. "Come on, James. You and I both know why you're really here."

       Adrian's blue eyes glanced back at Sara and James' cheeks turned a bright shade of red.

"I don't know what you're talking about," James replied in a calm tone.

"Just get in the car." Adrian opened the door and stepped out so James could get in the back seat with Sara. "We are headed to my parent's house for a small cookout."

James' eyes lit up at the mention of food. "Will your dad make his famous chili burgers?"

"It's a cookout so I am guessing he will."

"Yes!" James cheered like a small child who just scored a goal.

I could not help but chuckle at his antics. Sara also seemed to be amused by James' behaviour and almost intrigued. Maybe this cookout would be what she needed to distract herself from her situation?

***

        "Jane! Adrian!" Mrs McKeller greeted us with a warm smile as we reached their large backyard.

        She offered us each a hug, including Sara and Sophie. Mrs McKeller was instantly caught in baby-fever as she scooped Sophie into her arms.

       "I'm so glad you could make it," Gabby said as she walked over and gave me a hug. "I thought my grumpy brother would turn down the offer like he usually does."