The Call Of The Cursed

Mamma always warned us of the things that went bump in the night, but she failed to address how we were meant to combat such things.

The small village of Moonhallow was always quiet and peaceful ; at least on the outside looking in it appeared to be that way. But that was before the approach of Dawn when shadows began to fall across the land. To Alyona it had always seemed strange that right at the toll of the town clock at seven everyone rushed to their homes, packing away their goods and closing the shutters on their quaint little homes as tightly as they could and locking the doors. As a youngling she and her sister Nova would peek past those shutters in the windows giggling about how silly their mothers rule to be in bed at six sharp was. But neither had the courage to go against momma much less to ask why, so tucked firmly into bed they would whisper about their mothers strange rules until they were too tired to speculate about the faries that old mother Meriam had told stories about. Dreams of high Fae warriors stealing them away to become high ladies dancing in their little heads.

That was before Alyona would discover the truth of what she had always presumed was her safe little village for herself, and she would come to find that there were things that far surpassed her mortal imaginations, and would even learn that sometimes even the things that went bump in the night were meant to belong.

©️June 18 2023