Prologue

It all started when...

Aonung was playing with his buddies one day before he had to complete his obligations as the future Olo'eyktan when there was a loud disturbance from the village informing them that new people had come onto their territory.

Ikrans, giant animals with wings, descended and eventually allowed their riders to be seen. When the family entered the hamlet, Aonung and his closest buddy, Roxto, arrived at the front, where all the Metkayina had huddled. Aonung couldn't help but notice one of the arrivals; he appeared more mature than the other children; his hair was swaying with his braids, and the way it moved made Aonung think his hair had thoughts of its own. It piqued his interest.

Aonung wanted to get a better look at the boy, so he walked in front of him, rounding him, and he was so busy focusing on his eyes, yellow and bright like the sun, so beautifully breathtaking that he found himself gulping when those eyes turned at him with surprise after he hadn't reciprocated the greeting the Omaticaya had given him a few seconds before.

Neteyam had lost his breath for a second, having a nostalgic sensation as if it wasn't the first occasion the two of them had met; both weren't able to turn away until Aonung broke eye contact after hearing his father mention that he and Tsireya would be training the newcomers to adjust. Let's say he wasn't thrilled.

With a grumpy face, he led the darker Navis along with his sister, who, contrary to him, had a charming look and was smiling in the direction of the younger boy of the family; he rolled his eyes and walked faster without noticing a pair of yellow eyes which watched him curiously from behind with a little smile as he walked.