Best Dad Ever!

School was such a bore, considering you'd only just started a few months ago, but it still felt like years. This was the most important year ever. Not only did you have all these exams to study hard for, but you also had to make the difficult choice as to what career you wanted to do when you were older. Immediately you'd been heavily pressurised by your parents to think financially, a job in IT or a bank perhaps, essentially an office job. Ugh, paperwork.

Slamming your book shut, you planted your head firmly on the table in surrender at your desk. You'd been coped up in your room for hours now, trying to get through the massively expanding pile of homework but to no avail. All the letters and numbers made no sense, regardless of the amount of times you'd tried.

"How's it going?", your mother said rather loudly as she pushed herself into your room, the door flying open. You groaned in annoyance as she tutted, picking up the half eaten dinner you'd left on the side and the empty tub of ice cream. "Go away", you mumbled, covering your ears with your hands, refusing to hear her rabbit on again about how important your studies were. Huffing in annoyance, she stormed out of the room as quickly as she'd entered, her loud footsteps descending back downstairs as her moaning voice whined again. "Good grades means no excuse for a messy room", you managed to hear her say as you heard the loud thud of the bin getting abused, the lid sharply being slammed down on it.

Refusing to listen any more, you slammed your bedroom door shut, sinking down it to the floor where you sighed, burying your head in your hands. Your room wasn't messy, just a little dis fictional, but not out of the ordinary. With books and clothes scattered around the floor it was a little untidy, but you knew exactly where everything was, until your mother would come in and start tidying up, putting things in odd places, and some items never seeing the light of day ever again.

Already rubbing your tired eyes, you dared to glance at the pile of work on your desk. There was just too much of it, some of which you didn't even understand. It wasn't like you weren't trying; you were. Every day during school hours you'd frantically be rushing back and to from teachers and classmates, asking them for help. You were managing to pass in your classes, but only just. Now lay ahead the most difficult part; deciding what subjects to pursue for a career?

A gentle knock on the door made you groan in defeat. Not wanting to have your brain think any more, you crawled along the floor and buried your head straight into the bed. "I thought I recognised that noise. Maths homework again?". The cheerful chuckle of the deep voice made a little smile creep on your lips as your dad carefully stepped into your room. Out of the corner of your eye you observed him leaning over your books, carefully turning over the page with his grubby hands, frowning in thought.

Your dad was a mechanic, and a really good one at that you liked to remind everyone. All the town came to your dad for help when their cars went faulty, and within the next day, they'd be fixed and running even better than what they were when they first came out of the factory. Naturally, his hands always had some oily residue on which he was always careful not to get on the walls or doors, not wanting the fireworks off mum for making more mess. He'd recently gotten promoted at the garage where he used to worked, meaning that now he got to work on the brand new cars from all the different manufactures. As much as your mother hated it for the long and sometimes odd hours he worked, secretly you loved it, as sometimes he would sneak you a picture of the latest sports cars being released which you couldn't help but smile at.

It only seemed like last week when he'd sent you a picture of an Aston Martin, the new one for the latest James Bond movie and of course you'd swooned over it. It was beautiful, not to mention the sound of the engine! A beast of a noise. You loved it when he'd called you and let it rev in the background. In that moment you were more than happy.