the story

if you didnt read the desc..

i made an essay for my ela class and it was longer than expected sooo it turned into a short story. I liked it so much that i decided to share it.

enjoy :)

Two best friends, Wyatt and Aaliyah, were sitting in chairs side by side in a school classroom waiting for the judges to call their turn to present their project. The project they made was to make a metamorphosis project about earthworms turning into cocoons. Wyatt collected earthworms in a box that were just almost ready to turn into cocoons. He poked holes in it so that they could breathe. His plan was that, when the judges came over to their assignment, the cocoons would turn into butterflies the exact moment he opened the small, brown box, blowing the judges away.

What worried Aaliyah was that Wyatt had set the box on the heater.

"Wyatt, I think you should take the box off of the heater." Aaliyah said, facing Wyatt.

"I think the heat will speed up the process. I'm a little impatient."

"Didn't you say that you wanted the butterflies morphed at the exact time?" Aaliyah argued.

"I...." he thought for a moment, "I'm not taking the box off the heater."

"But-"

"End of discussion."

Aaliyah turned her head the opposite direction, flushed, mad, and embarrassed. Wyatt sounded like her father. His tone made her not want to argue with him. She didn't want the both of them to fail the project, but she didn't want to upset Wyatt any further.

Soon the judges came over and looked at the tri-fold in the middle of the two chairs. It was the main part of the project. The butterflies were supposed to be a bit of entertainment for the end. No one likes a boring project. The two partners explained metamorphosis and how it works. Aaliyah looked over at Wyatt, who's eyes lit up as if he remembered something. He got up and walked over to the heater, got the box, that was now warm, and walked back.

"And for the finale..." Wyatt beamed.

He opened the box. The judges gagged. The other students stared. Aaliyah wasn't surprised, but Wyatt was. The cocoons had gotten so warm that they died, stinking up the box. The stench flowed up and into the judges nostrils. Aaliyah's head fell in embarrassment. The judges gave a weak smile and said that the pair of partners would see if they won. Afterwards, they walked off.

Wyatt turned to Aaliyah. "I should've trusted you. I'm so sorry."

"Mhm." Aaliyah walked out of the classroom. Wyatt watched her leave in disappointment. Not in her, but himself. Wyatt wanted to stay and watch to see if they won the competition, but he knew he had to check up on his best friend. He ran out of the classroom, leaving the failed project behind for other students to take pictures of and laugh at. After two minutes of looking, Wyatt couldn't find Aaliyah. He tried remembering a place that she might have decided to go to.

The bathroom. The last time he went in there, he almost got caught. He heard her crying and peeked inside to check out the noise. That was how they met. He walked to the women's bathroom and stood outside of the door, hesitating. Is this really a good idea? he asked himself. He went in anyway. Inside, he heard nothing.

"Aaliyah?"

Nothing.

"Aaliyah??"he asked again, more long and stretched out.

"What?" an annoyed voice questioned from behind a locked bathroom stall. Wyatt followed it and stood in front of it. Aaliyah looked down at his shoes from the opening underneath the stall door.

"You know you're not supposed to be in here."

"You said that the last time I came in here."

"Because It's true." Aaliyah smiled.

"I just wanted to say that even if you don't accept my apology, I'll always listen to you from now on. Pinkie promise....once you've washed your hands."

Aaliyah laughed and opened the stall to wash her hands. She turned around from the sink to see Wyatt, holding out his pinkie to her, with a smile. "I haven't even dried my hands yet," she giggled.

"I know, but I'm impatient."

This time, Aaliyah didn't mind his impatience. She shook the water off of one of her hands and formed her fingers into the famous pinkie promise handshake. They shook on it and Aaliyah walked out, looking left and right to make sure no one would see Wyatt coming out of the women's bathroom. As the two walked back to the classroom, Wyatt sighed of relief. Things went a lot better than he expected.