Delivery

Vera was in the delivery room, and the nurses were getting ready for our little girl. I was pushed aside to get a gown and all the coverings I needed. As soon as I was suited up I was able to go into the room with my girls.
"How are you doing Vera?"
"It hurts!"
"Everything is going to be okay."
I grabbed her hand and kissed it.
"Your doing great baby."
"Alright now sweetie, we're going to have you push."
She pushed and let out an agonizing scream.
"Good job, now we're going to have to have you push again."
"I can't. I can't."
She started crying,
"I just can't."
"Vera, you're doing amazing babe, but you have to push."
I felt her hand tighten, as if she was going to push, then she slowly released.
"Vera?"
I looked at her and I saw the color draining from he face, with the monotone noise of the heart monitor in the background.
"Sir, you have to leave! You have to leave!"
The nurse started pushing me out of the room, but all I saw was Vera fading.
God, please don't take her from me, she is my everything. I can't live without her. She is my best friend, my wife, and I can't lose her. God, please keep her here.

I've been sitting in the waiting room for over an hour. I'm getting antsy. I can't just sit here anymore. So I walk up to the front desk. The girl behind the desk looked like she was new, and not very confident with what she was doing.
"Excuse me, ma'am."
"Yes, how can I help you sir?"
"I would like to inquire about Vera Anderson."
"Oh, might I ask who you are in relation?"
"Her husband."
"Hold on just a moment Mr. Anderson."
"Okay."
I stood there, and waited for her to get back. Impatiently I started to tap my fingers on the front desk, as she reappeared into the room.
"Okay sir, go to room 121, and ask for Dr. Martin, he can answer all your questions."
"Okay thank you."
I have a really bad feeling about this. Why couldn't she just tell me what was going on? I got to room 121 and knocked twice then opened the door.
"Dr. Martin?"
"Yes, you must be Mr. Anderson. Father to the beautiful baby girl that they are cleaning up right now."
"She made it!?"
"Yes she did, but your wife, Vera, she didn't."
"What?"
"Vera died during the delivery due to complications."
I felt the tears, I tired to hold them back, but then they brought me my little girl. I lost it, I held her and cried over her. She that last piece of Vera that I have. I will forever treasure her.
"Now, did you and your wife have names picked out?"
"Yes we did."
"So what would you like to name your little girl?"
I wiped the tears from my eyes,
"Rylan Anna Grace Anderson."
"Beautiful."
"Thank you. Rylan was Vera's favorite name."
"Well then little miss Rylan is a special one now isn't she."
I looked down at her perfect little face, and smiled.
"Yes, yes she is."

She had dark hair, and tiny button nose. Her fingers, toes, hands and feet were all small. Everything about her was little, precious, perfect. Little Miss Rylan is my life, and I will be the man she needs me to be. The man that Vera knew I would be. God, help me.

"Would you like us to invite family in?"
"Uh, yes please."
"Would you like if I were to explain why Vera isn't in the room?"
I felt the overwhelming sadness rush over me again. Fighting off the tears I managed to mutter,
"Yes."
I took a deep breath and relaxed, I need to be strong for our moms. I look down at Rylan and smile,
"Rylan Anna Grace, you are so beautiful. I promise to always take care of you."
"Where's our granddaughter?"
Both mine and Vera's mom walk into the room.
"Right here."
I smiled big.
"What did you guys name her?"
"Before we get to that Mrs. Mitchell, I have to inform the family of something."
"Which is?"
"Due to complications during the birth, Vera didn't make it."
Vera's mom turned white.
"Is there a chair? I need to... I need to sit down."
I stood up and walked over to her.
"Rylan Anna Grace Anderson."
"Oh my, she... She looks like Vera."
"I wouldn't want it any other way."