Last Act

The talent show had droned on for hours now. I sat watching, falling into daydream and starring at the school displays on the walls in the main hall.

The talent shows were always boring but the whole school had to watch every act. Little kids tried dancing and singing, but they were never any good. The older kids like me didn't compete, we just fall asleep watching. It was the same every year.

"Ok, welcome to the stage our final act Jamie-Leigh Holloway!" Mrs Reive introduced her. She was from my class. The only over 12 to perform. The final act, yay! I could go home once she'd finished.

Everyone knew she was mad- Jamie-Leigh Holloway. She had long black twisted hair that unfurled all the way down her back. The one thing I liked about her was her eyes. They were a shocking emerald green.

She stepped on stage. And held the microphone to her face. Her pale untouched face.

I never really noticed her. She was too quiet. Yet when she did say anything it came out in random words and phrases that I didn't understand. She is British though and she speaks English. Her adopted father told the school that. I'm not quite sure I believe that though.

The school band started to play. A smooth rhythm on the drums and a guitar too. I knew the song. Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls. I didn't particularly like the song though. I prefer hard core rock.

She started to sing. "And I'd give up forever to touch you. Cause I know that you feel the same way." her voice was clear and smooth. I hadn't heard it often, yet it was astonishingly beautiful. She wore a dirty dress, patterned with small blue flowers. She wore a string necklace with a bottle top, a pen lid, some dead flowers and a load of other junk. She had long legs and she was barefooted too. She normally wore broken sandals.

"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be and I don't want to go home right now." her voice echoed. Everyone was silent listening to the sweet music. "and all I can taste is this moment. And all I can breathe is your life. And sooner or later it's over. I just don't want to miss you today." she went into the chorus "and I don't want the world to see me. Cause I don't think that they'd understand. When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am."

She seemed to have tears in her eyes but none of them fall down her cheeks. "And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming. All the moment the truth in your lies. When everything feels like the movies, yeh you plead just to know you're alive." she went back to the chorus. "And I don't want the world to see me, cause I don't think that they'd understand. When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am." the song went into the instrumental.

The guitar played the meaningful melody and Jamie-Leigh stepped forward. She was stepping close to the edge of the stage.

Finally she belted out the chorus once more. "And I don't want the world to see me. Cause I don't think that they'd understand. When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am." she paused letting one tear fall down her cheek. Then muttered "I just want you to know who I am." The hall was silent. Then she stepped forward once more and then I knew what she was going to do. I stood up, and ran up the chair isle in the audience.

"Sit down Mr Thomlinson!" shouted Mr Quaalu, the mathematic's teacher.

"No!" I screamed. Then she took one last step and was plunged off the gtall stage. It only lasted seconds but to me it lasted forever.

Her body lied limply by my feet. Her black hair wrapped around her small body she was dead.