Genesis 35:21-22

Und Israel zog weiter und schlug sein Zelt auf jenseits von Migdal-Eder.

Jakob wird von nun an immer wieder als Israel genannt werden. Mit Israel wird aber von nun an nicht nur Jakob, sondern das ganze Volk Israel benannt. 

The location of Migdal Eder (lit., "tower of the flock") remains obscure, probably situated somewhere on the line between Bethlehem and Hebron.

K. A. Mathews, Genesis 11:27–50:26, Bd. 1B of The New American Commentary (Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2005), 627.

Und es begab sich, als Israel im Lande wohnte, ging Ruben hin und schlief bei Bilha, seines Vaters Nebenfrau. Und das kam vor Israel. Es hatte aber Jakob zwölf Söhne.

Die Zahl 12 ist eine Zahl der Vollendung. Es erinnert uns daran, dass Ismael 12 Fürsten prophezeit wurden.

Was hier passiert ist ein Skandal. Und dennoch wird es erstmal so nüchtern erwähnt und kaum beschrieben. Die einzigen Fakten, die wir haben sind: Israel hat sich niedergelassen, Ruben schläft mit seiner Stiefmutter, beziehungsweise Frau ihres Vaters. Wir erfahren, dass das Volk Israel das mitbekommt. Und das wars aber dann auch. Wir wissen, dass Ruben der Erstgeborene ist, also im Erwachsenenalter. Wir wissen, dass Bilha die Magd Rahels war. Dadurch das Rahel gestorben ist, wird Bilha jetzt als Nebenfrau Jakobs genannt. 

Es erinnert uns an die Schandtat Dinahs. Als Jakob und das Volk sich niedergelassen haben, geschah eine Schandtat. Jetzt lässt sich Israel nieder und es passiert die nächste Schandtat. 

Die Interpretation im folgenden Kommentar ist durchaus interessant: 

Also the text does not explain Reuben's motive. We surmise that it was a grasp for power, a symbolic action indicating his claim to his father's place. ... Since Bilhah was the maidservant of Rachel (v. 25; 30:3–8), the favorite wife of Jacob, his affront was a pointed claim to Jacob's place. Moreover, retaliation in behalf of his mother Leah, the rejected wife, may have emboldened him to humble Bilhah.595 Reuben's acquisition of the mandrakes for his mother Leah factored in the early struggle between the wives Leah and Rachel for ascendancy over the household (30:14–16). Although Bilhah was not Leah's sister, sexual relations with the one who played a surrogate role for Rachel may have implied another offense. ... That Jacob's marital polygamy impacted his sons may have extended beyond their characteristic sibling rivalry to the adoption of relaxed sexual boundaries. When we consider Jacob's apparent indifference toward the circumstances of Dinah's humiliation, one outcome might have been the unintended reinforcement of his children's libertine attitudes. That the author remarks that Jacob only "heard" of the crime and did not condemn it shows that the old man's authority had dwindled.596 Further, Reuben may well have concluded that his brothers Simeon and Levi had strengthened their position in the household when they opposed their father.

K. A. Mathews, Genesis 11:27–50:26, Bd. 1B of The New American Commentary (Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2005), 628–629.

Bilhah was Rachel's maidservant. With the matriarch of the family (Rachel) now dead, Reuben's violation of Bilhah ensures she will never replace Rachel as chief wife. Had Bilhah desired this status, her chief rival would have been Leah—Reuben's mother.

John D. Barry u. a., Faithlife Study Bible (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2012, 2016), Gen 35,22.

Reuben's transgression took place near Migdal Eder between Bethlehem and Hebron. It is possible that Reuben, Jacob's eldest, was trying to replace his father as patriarch prematurely by this pagan procedure.

Allen P. Ross, „Genesis", in The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures, hg. von J. F. Walvoord und R. B. Zuck (Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1985), 85.