69.

Amara

It was already 11pm that night and Lucien hasn't arrived home from work. It's funny cause he gets off at 7pm and he's home by 9. Many will say I'm acting childish because he's a grown man and I should trust him, but I'm just fearful that something terrifying has happened to him, which is a very normal response from a companion.

I care about him and just want him to make it home safe and in one piece.

I sat in the dining room all alone, stabbing at a small bowl of pesto steamed chicken avocado salad I made for our dinner, clutching my phone tightly in my left hand, my fingers itching over the call button.

The unexpected sound of keys forcing their way through the doorknob of the heavy front door jingled in my ear. Suddenly, the noise came to a halt and the front door slowly opens, the silhouette of two men entering shone through my irises with the help of the moonlight.

Footsteps were headed in the other direction of the dining room and for a moment I thought it was an intruder. I tightly squeeze the fork in my hand in case my suspicions were right, ready to attack.

Only, one silhouette belonged to the stressed and tired composure of my boyfriend and the other belonged to Maxime who headed past the room.

One half of me was happy that he was home, I felt myself relax when I see he's in one piece the same way he left every morning. I just wanted to shower him with kisses and ask about his day and soothe the stress he's been enduring.

But the other half of me was slightly pissed.

I eye him suspiciously. It was like he felt my harsh glare because he stops in his tracks.

"What?"

"Don't you know what time it is?" I say in my calmest voice. He seemed unbothered by my question and my aggravated mood.

He walks over to the cabinet where he stores his wine collection and pulls out a bottle of red wine. He leaves me for a moment to retrieve a glass from the kitchen. When he re-enters the room, he pops the bottle open, pours himself a half glass and takes a long sip. A hefty sigh escapes his lips.

He goes to take another sip and halfway through, his eyes scan the room and noticed that none of the bodyguards or Mrs. Haynes were in sight.

His head flickers to me again and he arches his eyebrows at the sight of my serious face.

"Where are my employees?" he asks.

I rest the fork down and place both hands flatly on the table.

"I sent them home. It's the weekend and I think they should be with their families," I bluntly remark.

His eyes shot up. "And how is it your place to send my employees home?"

I scoff. "They're human Lucien, just like you. They get tired and they crave the comfort of being with their families. Don't forget who you are."

All I got out of him was a loud continuous cackle and a shake head.

I was fuming on the inside. "What is so funny to you?"

"I just want to know what got you so mad to the point that you decided to send my employees home."

"YOU are the reason why I'm mad! Lucien Matthaeus King do you know what time it is? I have been worried sick all afternoon about you! I called your office and they informed me that you were in a business meeting. That was around 6:30pm and it's almost 12am. Then you come home and get mad- YOU are mad when you shouldn't even be!- and you get mad that I sent your tired employees home? Have you no heart at all?"