You Can Run, But You Can't Hide

Prologue

*******************************************************************************************

I was young, about 5 years old. My life was perfect. Then suddenly it just disappeared. Vanished in thin air. All i remember was that my dad was in New York City on a business trip so he knew nothing until the police called him. My mom told me to hide in the closet and not to come out. Then from outside the closet doors i heard yelling. A man was yelling whose voice i did not recognize. "Where is the money. You promised me you would have it." he yelled. My mom replied with a soft, quiet, calm voice "I...I...I don't have it. Chris will be home on Wednesday. I will have the money then. I promise.

"You have made too many promises in which you have not kept." The man yelled with a stern voice. My mom screamed. I heard a loud boom. Then all went silent. Shaking, I pulled my legs up to my chin, rocking back and forth crying. I cried silently so the man wouldn't know where i was. The door open with a creak then slammed shut. I heard a car start then drive away. I stayed in the closet even though I knew he was gone. I waited.

I heard the sound of sirens coming. Then the door bursted open and i heard people yelling. The closet door opened and a woman was standing there. She picked me up and told the other police men that se had found me. She carried me out to the ambulance and started talking to me. "Hi. My name is Lisa. I work at the Stoney Point police department. Whats your name sweetie?" "M...My name is Annabel." I remember telling the police officer. "I love that name. Can I ask you a question sweetie?" she asked. "Ye...yes you can." I replied. "Do you know who did this?" she asked. "No i do not. I was in the closet remember?" I said. "yes i remember."

She placed me down in the ambulance. She shut the door and the ambulance drove off. I got to the hospital and thats all I remember.

19 years later.

I became a police officer. Ever since my mom died i have always wanted to be part of the police force. I'm not police chief though. I get assigned cases all the time. Stoney Point isn't exactly the safest town. Very bad things happen here. I was a so-so town until about 12 years ago.