Chapter 14:Shadow and Illusion

WISTERIA

DAYS seemed to pass in a blur. When I was awoken up the next day, every inch of my body felt stiff and aching. I could hardly lift myself from the bed without groaning and moaning. I sunk my body in a hot bath to ease my muscles. I resist the urge to stay in the bronze tub for the rest of the day.

When I dried myself, I slowly slipped my clothes in my body and wore my boots with immense difficulty. After running the comb through my hair, I left for breakfast.

Zenya greet me when she saw me coming.

"Morning," she greeted brightly.

"Hey." I replied and sit next to her.

Zenya told me gossip while we're eating. She told me that Nina already returned back to the manor. I kept on nodding at her while looking at my timetable.

I need to go to the library today for my reading lesson about magic, theory and history. It would be three hours reading, then I would go to the pavilion for my combat training and after that I need to see Larisa, the old mad woman.

I was looking forward on going to the library so I didn't spend too much time at the dine hall. As I enter the cylindrical room, I saw other people reading. The addicting smell of old books filled my nose as I walk around. I consulted my timetable and look for the books I've been told to read.

There's this book called Magic Wielding: A Theory which is thicker than an encyclopedia. It was a hard bound book which I struggled to take off the shelf because it's out of my reach.

"Need a hand?" spoke a voice behind me. It was Kostya, a fellow Summoner.

"Yes, please." I said and step aside.

Kostya took the book and handed it to me. I mumbled a thank you before I shuffled away. I sat an empty table and blew off the dust from the book's cover.

I found the book an interesting read. It tells me how each of the magic wielders' magic works. But there's no single thing about Order Magic.

I flipped through the pages and read for three hours. Eventually, my eyes got tired so I close the book and returned it. I left for my combat training right after. My body still aches with each movement. I don't think I can run another lap or carry another weight.

When I reached the pavilion, Mr. Kuznetsov barked at me saying I was few minutes late.

"I don't have all day." he said impatiently.

I rolled my eyes when he wasn't looking. Today, he didn't let me run laps or carry heavy stuff but taught me defensive stunts.

"Have you fought anyone before?" Mr. Kuznetsov asked.

"Of course, I have." I said confidently, thinking of the times I've been locked up in a hold-up cell for being involved in trouble. I could say that I'm not particularly weak.

"Did you really?" he said, his tone challenging. "Let's see what you can do."

"I'll attempt to attack and you will need to dodge it and tackle me down."

Tackle him down!? He's twice the size of my body. I resist the urge to roll my eyes with his incredulity. He didn't even give me a cue when his fist was raise in the air and landed on the side of my face. I toppled over a stack of hay and felt the side of my face stung.

The others squeaked and I was immediately surrounded by other Summoners to ask me if I'm okay.

"Silly girl, why didn't you dodge it!" barked Mr. Kuznetsov. I glowered at him and told the others that I'm all right.