Lessons from Coach Bo of Amphibious LLC

How to Be a Successful Overseas Filipino: Lessons from Coach Bo of Amphibious LLC

Living and working overseas is a dream for many Filipinos. It promises the chance to earn more, support their families, and experience a different way of life. But this dream comes with its own set of challenges – from homesickness to discrimination to the struggle of building a stable life in a foreign land. In this article, we interview Bimbo L. Calitis, also known as Coach Bo, to learn from his experiences and insights on how to be a successful overseas Filipino.

Coach Bo's journey started from humble beginnings – he worked a variety of jobs growing up, from selling balut to driving tricycles. He faced the difficulties of working illegally in Saudi Arabia and even spent time in jail. But these hurdles did not deter him from pursuing his dreams. Eventually, he found his passion in surfing and founded his own company, Amphibious LLC, in Dubai. Today, he is a successful entrepreneur and an inspiration to many.

Here are some of the lessons we can learn from Coach Bo on how to be a successful overseas Filipino:

1. Embrace the challenge

Working abroad is not easy. It requires you to adapt to a new culture, language, and way of life. But according to Coach Bo, this is also what makes it exciting. "What I like about working overseas is you meet different kinds of people (nationalities). You learn about their culture. You become more open-minded person," he shares. Instead of looking at the difficulties as roadblocks, see them as opportunities to grow and learn.

2. Invest in your skills and passions

Whatever job or industry you're in, make sure you are continuously learning and developing your skills. Coach Bo had a variety of jobs before he found his true passion in surfing. But even in those past jobs, he found ways to gain knowledge and experience that he could apply later on. "When I slowly got involved in surfing, I became passionate in that sports. It changed my lifestyle and it showed me a deeper meaning of life," he says. Investing in your passions, whether it's a hobby or a potential business idea, can lead to fulfilling and rewarding opportunities.

3. Love yourself first

The hardships of working overseas can take a toll on your mental and emotional well-being. That's why it's important to prioritize self-care and self-love. "To overcome this, I learned to love myself more. And when you take care of yourself, you will have a healthy mind and body. And everything will follow," says Coach Bo. Take time to rest, exercise, and pursue activities that bring you joy. When you prioritize your own well-being, you become better equipped to face challenges and achieve your goals.

4. Build a support system

Working overseas can be lonely and isolating, especially in the beginning. That's why it's crucial to build a strong support system, whether it's through fellow Filipinos, other expats, or local friends. Coach Bo shares that the Filipino community was a source of support for him when he first arrived in Dubai. "And the most important thing is to learn to love yourself first for you to be able to reach your goals in life. Live healthy, so you can do what you love and live to the fullest."

5. Have a plan for the future

While it's important to enjoy the present moment, Coach Bo advises thinking ahead to the future. "Be smart financially. Spend wisely. Invest and plan your future," he says. Knowing your long-term goals and taking steps towards achieving them, whether it's saving money or establishing connections within your industry, can help provide a sense of direction and security.

Being a successful overseas Filipino is not just about the job or the income. It's about finding meaning and purpose in your life, and making a positive impact on others. As Coach Bo shows us, with perseverance, passion, and a deep commitment to self-love and personal growth, anything is possible.