The Start

Monday 12:24pm, "Wow, today has been slow." Enid said as she scrubbed a table near the counter. While she cleans the table, a man walks into the cafe with his face covered by a hat. "Hello, welcome! What can I get for you today?" Enid said with a smile on her face, "Just a small coffee, please." The stranger said with little energy in his voice, "Sure thing!" Enid said as she rushed to the kitchen to make the coffee. After a few minutes, Enid rushed out of the kitchen and placed the coffee on the man's table. "Here's your coffee, sir; do you need anything else?" She said, still full of life, "Do you have any cakes of any sort?" he said, taking off his hat, revealing a young man with dark brown eyes and dark hair. "We have coffee cake if that matches your fancy." Enid said, trying to keep herself motivated. "Yes, that would work just fine," the man said, sipping on his coffee. Enid rushed to the back to grab the coffee cake, which was still warm since it had just been made 15 minutes ago for the last customer. She rushed out and gave the man his cake. "Thank you very much," the man said, smiling at Enid. "I should be all good now," he said as he went to eat his cake. Enid was cleaning the counter and the tables as the man finished his meal. "Excuse me, can I get the check?" the man said politely. "Absolutely!" Enid said, as she rung his check up. "What do I owe you, Miss..?" the man said in a calm tone with a smile. "You can call me Enid." She said with a warm smile, "Miss Enid, that's a wonderful name." He said as he pulled out a $10 bill. "Would this cover it?" he said, handing Enid the bill. "That would be plenty; would you like change back, Mr..?" Enid said in a sweet tone with a warm smile on her face, "Chu, and you can keep the change." He said with a calm tone, "Thank you very much, Mr. Chu. I hope you have a wonderful day." Enid waved to Chu. As Chu picked up his stuff and headed for the door, he asked Enid a question. "Are you guys hiring by any chance?" He said, almost kind of worried, "We are hiring, but sadly, I won't be able to pay you in money, but I could pay you in food if you would prefer." "That would work for me, but do you have anywhere I could stay perhaps?" Chu said, scratching the back of his head, "Yeah, I have an extra room in the back."