Brain

It felt colder than ever.

It was not the first time that SS1104 was in that area on a delivery run: he knew it well, had memorised every corner and felt the same sensations every time he set foot there.

Gloomy, icy: adjectives to describe the chaos that reigned in this area. Workers who, like the rest of the cells in that body, had never had time to take a break, their faces tired and united by a strong nervousness that made their stress levels rise.

Although the scenario was identical to the previous days, that time SS1104 could feel a difference.

That place was extremely cold, like it had never been before. A sensation he also felt in the presence of the commander: with his back turned and his arms folded, this was the way this adult cell greeted every visitor who came to this place. The commander was a reflection of this place: imposing, austere, but also icy.

SS1104 shivered, from the cold, but also from the tension this figure gave him. Would that cell ever feel emotions, or would it remain impassive for the rest of his life cycle? Above all, how could he not lose control in the face of the catastrophic situation everyone was experiencing?

Could it be that he doesn't care? SS1104 asked himself several times before clenching his hand into a fist. The temptation to lose his temper and punch him in the face was great, but he had to resist it: if he did, he would at best be dismissed from his role as a red blood cell, but at worst he might compromise the brain functions of the ramshackle body he was working in... and no, he did not want to be the cause of a further deterioration of the situation.

So SS1104 tried to calm his seething mind by remembering the words of his friend DA4901.

Breathe.

Yes, breathe and let his mind relax as much as possible. But would it have been enough to erase the feelings of resentment and anger that had taken root in his heart? Would it be enough to put all the danger and tragedy they had experienced behind them?

SS1104 stood there, waiting for a word from the commander that would bring some comfort - and perhaps even some warmth - to his now distraught soul.

Even though the brain is cold, it's the place where the cells can understand the body's feelings, as well as our own, better than anyone else.