Words Don't Begin to Describe

The moment Noreen walked out—

There was a time Kyle could shake the feeling of being abandoned , of his father walking out on the marriage by cheating on his mother. His future stepmother spoke of things Kyle understood. She was willing to expand her knowledge basis just for him, to appreciate the work he put into the point that Midsummer Night 's Dream was now her new favorite play, which meant something.

Yet, he also knew Bill Townsend not showing up to his play, of walking away that night was the last straw for Noreen. And then his dad dared to ask later on why she'd left when Kyle knew full well yet didn't know how to say anything regarding the matter to anyone other than Noreen, who was more than willing to integrate their two families.

"All I ever wanted was to not be invisible, for once," Kyle thought, the negative emotions starting to get the better of him, rattling over and over in his head as he tried to grasp what was going wrong. At the same time, nobody seemed inclined to notice, so he thought nobody would see if he disappeared.

Nobody, that is, except Noreen.

Except, he didn 't get Noreen.

It was awkward showing up there, at the Fitzgibbons, instead coming face to face with Charlie Fitzgibbon simply because Noreen was out with her mother, and the first words out of the man 's mouth was, "Shouldn't you be in school?"

And there Kyle stood, staring, words unable to come out of his mouth as they would for the plays he performed, something he didn 't understand given the plays came with such ease, but then—with the plays, he was never invisible to the audience in front of him. He swallowed and said, "Yes, sir."

"Then what are you doing out of school?" the man asked.

"I came to see Noreen," Kyle muttered.

And then, "Kyle?"

"You know the kid, Garth?"

"Yeah. He's peanut's older half-brother," Garth said, referring to the nickname Noreen used for her yet-to-be-born baby. Kyle swallowed, looking at the ground and taking a deep breath.

"I'm sorry. I just," Kyle pushed his lips together.

"You're not taking Noreen and your dad breaking up very well, are you?" Garth asked.

Kyle shook his head, unsure what to say, while Charlie Fitzgibbon sighed, bidding him to come in. The tension in the room was horrible. And then, finally, Kyle said. "I needed somebody to talk to."

It certainly wasn 't what he planned on saying, and if Kyle had a chance, he would have taken the time to integrate his words more carefully. Charlie said, "You know, sometimes two people are like oil and water, so they don 't mix, you know."

"Which is Noreen?" Kyle muttered, sitting down as someone brought him something to drink. "Water, because she's so calm? And what does that make me? To my dad, I mean?" He twisted his hands in his glass. "I know why Noreen broke up with my dad, but what makes it worse is he had to ask. And nobody asked...."

"Asked what?"

"Noreen's been the only one to take an interest in my life of late," Kyle said. "But that's not it. Is it wrong for me to be upset about the divorce but excited about a new sibling?"

"Not at all," Garth said, looking at his father. "Right, dad."

"No, not at all," the man said. "But your parents will likely be worried about you."

"I doubt anybody noticed I'm gone," Kyle muttered. "So they won't notice when I get back."

"I'll still have Noreen give your dad," the man said, making Kyle flinch. "Your mother a call."

And that was that, or so he thought, but then is mother showed and, "Nobodies blaming anybody, " Noreen's dad said, after Kyle responded to his mother asking why he didn't think anybody would worry with he didn't think anybody would even notice he was gone, to which Noreen's dad pulled his mother aside and she came back.

"So, what do you think the consequences for running off like you did and leaving everyone else in a lurch at mock trial will be?"

"Grounding?" Kyle said.

"Well, the verdict is in, and that's not the appropriate punishment," his mother said, looking right at Noreen's dad. "Not when—you know, we can discuss this later, but know you're not invisible."