Prologue - Y/n

Everything happens for a reason.

That quote stuck with me for the last couple of years after that, and all I can say is it's bullshit. Fifteen years and no reason for that happening ever came into my life, leaving me hopeless and accepting that the reason will never appear. My life has been and always will be a big pile of shit.

I sighed, shaking my head before I got lost in my thoughts, focusing on returning to my home for the last five years. I pulled out my phone and glanced at the date, November 5th, 2022. "Tomorrow, huh?" I mumbled, shoving my phone back into my pocket and tossing my school bag over my right shoulder.

I continued walking home, keeping my head down and avoiding eye contact with anyone as I didn't want to engage in any conversations or eye contact. My long pure white covered the top of my vision while I looked down at the ground, walking and listening to the sounds in the air. My hair wasn't always white but a chestnut colour, which had long faded and never returned for unknown reasons.

The easy way to describe me as a person would be a "Loner" who never made any effort to formulate any connections with other kids my age, leaving as soon as possible and never striking up any conversations. But of course, just because I didn't want any "Friends" didn't mean I had had none since there were two exceptions, one of which had disappeared from my life four years ago and one at my current school.

"Woah!"

I suddenly bumped into somebody, and they fell over while I got a good look at them when they fell on their ass. The person was a girl who looked a year younger than me or at least a couple of months. She had long, ash-coloured hair and one of her hands was holding it, disoriented from the sudden collision. She also wore a school uniform similar to mine, the female version. Her bag was next to her on the ground.

I don't know what compelled me to stand there with my bag slung over my right shoulder and my left hand idly against my left side. The girl shook her head slowly, opening her eyes before snapping to meet my gaze when she saw my feet. Light hazel eyes met mine.

"Uh, um..." She averted her gaze, nervousness lacing her voice. "S-Sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going."

"Mmm." I let out a low hum of acknowledgment, not wanting to waste any energy speaking.

The girl quickly got to her feet, grabbed her bag after dusting herself off and said, "Gotta run! Sorry!" She ran past me while I kept a curious gaze until she turned out of sight, leaving me to continue home.

I didn't know why I stayed standing there since I would probably never speak to the girl, even if, by some chance, we met at school. Also, we probably never see again after heading to a different high school or something.

"Hmm?" I leaned down and saw the girl had dropped something, so I naturally picked it up.

The object was small, a key chain attached to the top of a small locket, but the chain broke, which explained how the girl dropped it. I tapped the top, and it clicked open, revealing a picture of a small girl with ash-coloured hair and red eyes, unlike the girl from earlier. There was no way to identify who owned the locket, so the only way to return it was to run after her or wait until I saw her in school.

The first option sounded like a chore, so I shoved it into my pocket and continued walking home. I yawned, drained from school and wanted to fall asleep the moment I got home, but unfortunately, I had homework to do, which my teacher assigned today.