The Choice

Alright, this is it. This is me pouring out my biggest secret onto paper. This is me, a sobbing teenage girl, telling the true story on how I am still alive today. I won't mention any names whatsoever, for the protection everyone who was involved, including myself. This is story about Him.

It starts with a normal Saturday, in the late morning. There were four of us. Me, Him, a girl that while being a friend of mine, was also a good friend of Him, and a boy who I hardly knew but was good friends with Him. Anyway, the four of us had just come out of the cinema in the shopping centre. My friend that was with us and His friend were chaperoning a date between me and Him. He (referring to Him) had a crush on me for a long time, and I felt I was developing feelings for him as well. I wanted to see if there was going to be something between us, but I didn't want to go alone, so I invited my friend and told Him to invite one of his friends, but now to continue with the story. After the movie, we went to the food court in the shopping centre. He bought me lunch, after which we all went to the bus stop as we were all getting off at the same place. That bus, is where it all fell apart.

On the way to the stop where we were getting off at, a man with a balaclava and a very suspicious look came onto the bus and sat a few seats in front of us. We hardly noticed as we were chatting and laughing. After the bus started moving, the next thing I hear is a loud voice shouting 'nobody move!' It was the suspicious man, now holding a gun. Here I knew that my life would either end or be scarred for eternity. The bus wasn't packed, but the few people on the bus started screaming, including us four teenagers. The man told the bus driver to drive to a destination which no one else could hear. He (the suspicious man) then walked over to us and said 'I think you four will do nicely. When we stop, you are going to follow me. Anyone who doesn't, will have no life left to regret not following.' I was so petrified with fear I hadn't realized I was clasping the hand of Him. He looked at me and said softly 'everything is going to be fine. Over my dead body will anyone harm you and those two.' I smiled and felt a chill running up my spine. I felt like I wanted to kiss him, but before I could the bus ground to a halt.

The man told us to get out, and put bags (that were waiting outside the bus) over our heads. Blindfolded, I didn't know where we were being taken, nor did I recognize the place we stopped before the bags were on our heads. After a while walking, I noticed we were being led by a larger group of people. After hearing a heavy clink of a large key in a door, we where led into that same door with the words 'you may not remove your bags until I tell you to.'

I felt my way around the room, hearing His friend stumble. Finally, a voice said through a speaker 'you may remove your bags AFTER I have given you these instructions. There is a gun on the table there. I want the tallest boy to pick it up and sit down on one side of the room. The other three will then sit on the other side if the room. Ok, you may remove your bags.' Do you know who was the tallest? It was Him. Hands shaking, he picked up the gun and sat on one side of the room. When everyone was in position, the voice on the speaker said 'there is one bullet in that gun, you have the choice of who it ends up in. If you fail to comply, you will all die.' All of us shivered, except Him, who just sat there looking at me. I wasn't sure what this meant, but I wasn't going to leap to any conclusions. He said 'I have chosen, but I will not reveal who until the time comes,' he then looks up and the speaker and, speaking much fiercer, says 'as long as you promise to let the people I don't shoot go free.' The voice then teasingly replied 'of course, you have my word as a criminal' which he did keep, but that's will be evident later. He (Him) then stands up and walks to the other two. There were hugs, handshakes and tears, and then he walked to me. He hugged me and whispered in my ear a phrase that made me know who he was going to shoot; 'I love you'. I then, after he pulls away from the hug, pull him closer and kiss him. I knew what he was going to do and whispered 'don't do it'. He replied in a similar tone 'I have to'. He then crosses the room back to the gun. He picks it up. From the next moment I do not remember anything except a huge bang of the gun. He fell to the floor. We all rushed to him. When I looked at him, he opened his eyes and put his hand on my cheek. 'Remember me' he said with his last breath, after which he closed his eyes and was without life. The other two started crying, but I just stood there looking at him. The brave boy that would rather take his own life than that of another innocent person.

After being rushed out of the room with our bags on our heads again, we where driven to the bus stop where we would have got off at and were kicked out of the car. When we removed our bags, everything seemed normal again, except the fact that He was no longer with us. After we discussed what to do in a flood of tears, the surviving boy told His (not his own) family, who held a funeral we will never forget. I will remember him forever and hope that his soul will be at rest now that I have written this. That was my story on how a normal teenage boy sacrificed himself for others. That was my story, about Him.