ONESHOT

"dad please!" ivory begged her father to let her go to the dance, she had been so excited for this one and clay knew that. But he had to say no, she was in the spotlight for anyone who wanted to hurt clay and he couldn't let her get in that crossfire.

"you know you cant go ivy" clay sat in his large chair, the throne like spot that he rarely ever left due to all the work he had laying on his desk. The room looked medieval, everything was decorated to the brim despite it not even being clays choice.

"Why not? if its such a big deal then send techno or- or corpse with me! but please! its just a dance" ivory walked into the room more, putting her hands down on the large wooden desk with a little thud. Clay found it strange that she wanted to go to this dance so bad, there had been dozens in the past, but never once was she this persistent.

Techno and corpse were clays two right hand men, and best friends for that matter. They were his only two friends in high school, mostly because they were the other two victims of being bullied. Techno because he was a 'freak' with his natural pink hair and corpse because he was mute. In truth he wasn't, he had a medical condition that made his voice extremely deep and he just didnt want to be made fun of more because of it.

clay thought for a moment, setting the pen down in his hand and leaning back in his chair. He looked at his daughters face, seeing her features that looked just like her mother. Ivory's mother was the reason clay was so protective of her, because she was caught in the crossfire and ended up dying because of it.

Clay never told ivory that part, he just told her that her mother died in child birth. It was a lie clay forced the entire mafia to tell, because they all understood why he had to keep what really happened a secret.

"it is just a dance" clay repeated, "so why do you want to go so bad" clay crossed his arms, a little grin forming on his face as he was starting to connect the dots. Ivory was 15, and she very well could have been asked out to the dance.

there was a moment of silence before ivory pursed her lips, she couldn't think of a lie quick enough and that's when she realized clay knew what it was about.

"what's his name" the blonde started to stand up, taking a minute to collect all of the papers on his desk while ivory began to speak once more.

"wilbur" she hesitated but soon enough spat out a name, generally it wasn't a bad one but clay knew it was probably just short for William. Clay was always judgmental when it came to names, he thought he deserved that much from changing his own.

"This wilbur. do you like him?" clay was pretending to be beyond furious, he knew this boy meant a lot to her considering she had been talking about the dance for months on end.

"I- I guess" she mumbled, she knew her father probably wasn't happy about the whole thing and that's why she was being short stemmed.

"if 'you guess' you like him then hes not worth a dance" clay slipped all of the papers into a drawer on the desk, walking around the wooden structure and about to leave the room until ivory spoke again.

"mom would have let me go" she spoke with disparity, she really didnt know if her mother would have let her go because she had never met the women, but she knew mothers would be more excited than her father was being.

clay stood in the doorway, motionless and honestly speechless because ivory rarely ever mentioned her mother and clay never would have thought she would use her name in this scenario. He slowly turned around, and instead of annoyance or anger that was on his face like it usually was, there was a soft emotion, one that said ivory was right.

"she would have." clay began, "And she would have taken you dress shopping, she would have made sure your hair was exactly how you wanted it, she would have helped you with your makeup." Clays voice was shallow, and ivory felt her stomach sink and her heart stop as her father spoke about her mother.