╰• 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷 •╯

Before you begin reading, I want to clarify that I am not a native English speaker, so you may find some coherence, spelling, or grammar errors. So please, do not hesitate to let me know if you come across any details that need improvement.

Thank you very much for reading, I hope you enjoy it!

┍──━──━──┙◆┕──━──━──┑

"Would you like another drink, Mr. Fettes?" asked the young and attractive woman sitting across from him.

Frederick shook his head, leaving his glass on the table between them.

The truth was that he wished the conversation would get to the point that interested him much more and for which they were there.

He had decided to leave the darkness and silence of his house deep in the forest, solely to see her.

"Actually, what I would like to know is if you read my letter," he began. Evangeline nodded, becoming tense. The dwindling smile disappeared from her face as she took a sip of her drink. "Carefully?"

"That's right, Mr. Fettes. And although I don't completely understand it, I fully agree to collaborate with you if it helps to remedy my situation."

Fettes recalled that day again when the first letter from the illustrious Lady Dalburick arrived at the gates of his home. It had been quite a surprise to learn that his skills as a lawyer, despite having distanced himself from the profession some time ago, were still being talked about. Even in very high social circles.

As he opened it and read its contents, his entire plan came to mind as if it had been traced in space years ago.

He was sure she would agree, she would because she had no choice but to listen to him. He knew people well enough to assert without a hint of doubt that this woman was so desperate that she would be capable of doing anything. And there they were, after a couple of weeks of correspondence, facing each other in the sumptuous reception hall of the tyrant Dalburick.

"There is not much to understand, you came to me as a lawyer."

"The best in London, they say," she interrupted, purposefully showing the high expectations she had for him.

Frederick smiled.

"And yet, what I offer you far exceeds all the laws of men. Even all that you have not even dared to dream. You or anyone else in the world."

"People say you are an inventor, a crazy genius, but a genius nonetheless."

"Nothing could be further from the truth. Inventors work with scientific facts, they are limited to trusting what they see with their own eyes, what they feel with their fingers, and what they can perceive with their skin. However, I have surpassed those limitations and have opened up a path in a metaphysical and abstract world, as incredible but as real as you and I."

Evangeline finished her drink, confused. She had no idea what that man was talking about. The idea of kicking him out and living with the problem that bothered her crossed her mind for a moment as she saw that deranged look and smile peeking from under the neat pencil-style mustache. However, those last few days without being able to eat, the sleepless nights, the evenings surrounded by luxuries and comforts that she was unable to enjoy because of her internal concerns, ended up stopping her sudden attack of doubts.