CHAPTER ONE: "At First Sight"

I should have known it was a bad idea, but that didn't stop me

I should have known it was a bad idea, but that didn't stop me. She might be a rabbit and I a wolf, but I knew, from the first moment I saw her... that I loved her.

I still remember the day I first met her. My pack and I were out on a daily hunt. It was my first time joining them, and we were preparing to pounce on a white rabbit. She was drinking from a lake that held a beautiful shimmer from the sun. The light from the water complimented her snow white fur and sparkling pitched black eyes. Her nose was like a pale strawberry. I have never gazed upon a creature so beautiful.

My heart was beating so fast, I thought it was going to pop out of my chest. My eyes couldn't look away, as if they were connected to her. I didn't know what I was feeling. It felt so nice just gazing at her. Yet, I still had to chase after her as my prey.

My pack and I ran so fast but she was faster, for a little rabbit. It reached a point where the pack couldn't keep up but I never stopped. I kept running, even though exhaustion was building up as air was draining from my lungs. But I never lost sight of her, I never gave up. Eventually, I had her cornered.

She panted so hard as I did, as if we were both about to faint. Her body was shaking and her eyes were filled with dread. A single tear dripped from her cheek.

My body froze, no words were spoken from my mouth. At the moment, my only thoughts were, "she's such a small rabbit." I could only wonder what she's thinking."Is she terrified of me?" I am a wolf after all. But harming her was the last thing I wanted to do. I wanted her to know that... I finally found the words to say. "I... I'm sorry for scaring you." Confusion took place in the rabbit's face.

Then, I heard my pack coming nearby trying to sniff out the rabbit. I told the rabbit to stay calm and not make a sound. I hid her hide inside a wooden log that held an awful smell, as if something died. Hoping that the stench would hide her scent.

I told my pack that the rabbit had escaped from my grasp and they were surprised. They really thought I would catch her based on how fast I was running as everyone else gave up. "'I suppose we should've known better, it is your first time hunting. It takes a lot of technique and energy to catch a prey," they said to me.

The pack decided to return home and I had to return with them. I whispered to the rabbit in the log, "meet me at the lake at sundown. I understand if you won't show up. I... I just want to see you again." The rabbit just stood there quietly with no response. I walked away and left with my pack, hoping that I'd see her again.

I should have known it was a bad idea, but that didn't stop me

I should have known it was a bad idea, but that didn't stop me. No one would've thought I was sane for even considering meeting a wolf. But if he wanted to devour me he would've done so when we met. But he decided to help me. I... I still don't understand why. I'm a rabbit and he's a wolf. Why would a predator protect its prey?

When I woke up today, I just thought it would be another sunny day. The birds would be singing, beautiful flowers would bloom. I never thought today would feel like my last.

Once I heard the wolves approach I thought "of course... the ones who stand victorious. Holding both the strength and power over those who are small and weak... like me. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I always knew my time would come like my mother and sister. I suppose the only upside is I will finally join them.

My life hasn't been as easy as everyone thought. After losing my mother and sister, everything just didn't seem right. Like something was missing. Perhaps it was a void caused by the loss of my family. I was never certain. But perhaps I'll find out once I cross into the unknown and see the faces of my mother and sister." But even after all of that, I still ran.

Perhaps it was cowardness, perhaps I wasn't ready to give up my life so easily. My will to live was stronger than my will to die.

As I ran, I knew my fate was sealed. One wolf got close as the others gave up from exhaustion. My exhaustion was building up as well. My heart couldn't take it, I couldn't run forever.

Eventually, I gave up. The wolf had me cornered. I was certain I'd perish as his big white fangs showed themselves to me. I was just a small rabbit and he was a big wolf. It was obvious who would survive the day. The predator always wins and the prey dies. It's how it works, that's nature.

Strange thing is, instead of devouring me, he told me that he's sorry. I wasn't sure if what I heard was true or just my exhausted mind playing tricks. A wolf apologizing to a rabbit. Made no sense, no sense at all. You'd think a big wolf like him would devour a small prey instead of apologizing to it or even bother speaking to it.

Wolves aren't known for showing mercy, but it wasn't mercy at all. It was something completely different. I could see in his yellow eyes that he held some sort of... compassion. It sounds utterly ridiculous but he was gentle.

He protected me from the other wolves. He hid me in a log that smelled like death, but the smell hid my scent. That wolf, who I thought was going to end my life actually saved it. He told me to meet him at sundown at the lake. It's absolutely insane. But he did save my life. He is the strangest wolf I have ever met. My curiosity got the best of me and I left my burrow to meet him. I left with the thought that I may never return.

 I left with the thought that I may never return