part 1

The clock reads 9:30

'Finally. time to clock out.' you think

you grab your bag from behind the diner bar and turn the lights out getting ready to lock up

'shit. i dont have my key, Natalie must still have it.'

you shuffle through your bag to grab your phone, searching for Natalie's contact in your messages. Egar to get this done so you can go home to your bed.

*jingle jingle* you must not have heard the footsteps behind you because when you turned around there Natalie was, holding the keys up to your head.

"sorry i forgot to give these back Y/n" you take the keys "oh my god thank you! what are you still doing here?" you say, taking the keys from her hands

"Oh i remembered i still had your copy of the keys, and i was nearby so I decided to be nice and come by to return them so you don't get fired for locking the door" She smiles, and you thank her

Natalie has been your best friend since you first started working at the diner, she's always been a little unpredictable but that's what you love most about her. Sure she always smells like nicotine and can be a little snappy when it comes to her or her friends being disrespected, but she was one of those girls anyone would want on their side. She has a reputation for being one of the most beautiful girls in Pasadena, her silk black hair and dark green eyes where defiantly a sight to see. Who wouldn't want her, you think to yourself every time you catch a customer hitting on her from the other side of the counter.

you finally flip the sign over to closed and open the door letting Natalie out first "bye sweetie!" she says waving behind her, you hold back a smile she knows you never know how to respond to affection, especially from her. locking the door behind you and heading out to your car

sitting in your car you browse spotify searching for what you want to listen to on your drive home, your in the mood for indie music, looking at your liked songs you come across a song written by an old friend from high school. 'wow, Phoebe Bridgers is like.. big now. I doubt she even remembers me.'

your thoughts are interrupted by a text from a number you don't recognize.

"Hey y/n, Not sure if you remember me. Its Phoebe from high school i got your number from joel. Annyways im back in town and i heard you still live there and i wanted to catch up with an old friend"

the timing is something from a sloppy fanfic written by a teenage girl in a dark room but hey, you used to have a huge crush on her and this text has you in complete shock, your not sure if your stomach is twisting because of the timing or if its old feelings resurfacing.

you spiral thinking of how to respond, "yeah of course id like to hang out!!" you type, quickly deleting, too short, kind of boring.

"Oh! Pheobe its been a while! i would love to catch up over coffee sometime." its not too bad you think to yourself. so you send it.

Your surprised when phoebe imedietly starts typing

"How's tomorrow morning for you?"

well actually you made plans to go over to Natalies to binge watch tv shows and talk about her newest situationship. but you disregard that because its PHEOBE. GODAMN. BRIDGERS.

"That sound's perfect" you say, okay now time to text natalie and tell her i have to cancel. she most likely wont take it well