Standing Next To Me

Standing Next To Me by Katty Lashes

I hadn't met anyone who had been to Alto Verde, and so I didn't know what to expect. But that was part of the fun. People think being on tour is exciting, but the truth is you see very little of the city you're in, and after a while, all the hotels look the same. This holiday came up randomly on my phone one night, and I just went for it.  I guessed it was going to be pretty 'out there' because I got sent a long contract stipulating all the things I could and couldn't do. But I didn't care. I just needed to go somewhere no one knew me, and I could let my hair down and not have to think about other people all the time.

As soon as the plane landed at Shavambacu Airport, I could tell this was going to be a strange experience. The few women I was on the flight with were kept in a holding room and then called one by one. When it was my turn, I was told to get into the blacked out car that was waiting outside, and then given a blindfold by Matt the driver. We seemed to drive in circles while repetitive music played on the car stereo. Once the car stopped, Matt told me to take the blindfold off and I couldn't quite believe my ears when I got out.

Alto Verde appeared to be a holiday park or a theme park or something, and I wondered if I had made a big mistake, and it was going to be full of screaming kids.  The advert stipulated it was only for single women; but who else would want to stay somewhere that was a weird hybrid of a Wild West town and a tropical paradise with a huge, modern hotel?

I read in the contract that before going to the Tranquillity Base Hotel and Casino, I had to check into The Cornerstone Inn first. Matt took my bags to the hotel, and I went into the inn.  Well, it certainly wasn't full of screaming kids...it was practically empty, and it did look like a rickety old Wild West saloon. Most of the tables were empty. At one of them in the corner were a couple of young guys with mops of dark hair, their heads close together as they chatted. At another table, a young shaven headed guy was nursing a pint.

"Millie?"

The voice came from behind the bar. The guy was really hot, with his tight vest and muscles and messy dark hair.

"Yes."

"Take a seat, Sweetheart. What can I get you to drink?"

"A margarita would be great."

"Coming up."

I sat down and automatically took out my phone – it was force of habit even though the contract had said there would be no signal on the island.

I put it back in my pocket. Laughter came from the other side of the room. One of the younger guys, the one with shorter, shaggy hair, reared his head back as he laughed, and I couldn't help but think I had seen him before....the strong jawline, the large, perfect shaped nose....

"Here you go, darling..."

I looked up. It was the guy from behind the bar, with my drink. Of course...he had the same nose and jaw.  They must have been brothers.

"I'm Babydoll," the host said, sitting down. I had met some really hot guys in my time -  I was in love with one of them – but Babydoll was beautiful, with his big dark brown eyes and pouty pink lips, and his body was amazing...

"So, Millie. What brings you to Alto Verde?"  If he recognised me, he was making a good impression of not having a clue who I was.

"Have you heard of a band called Swansong?"

"Vaguely."  He laughed and rolled his eyes. "I'm terrible at remembering the names of things."

"Well we're quite famous. I'm the guitarist. I'm also the only girl....well, people shipme and Ben, the lead singer."