Karma Is A Bitch (SHORT STORY)

Karma Howard cried helplessly with her head in her hands in the hospital waiting room, waiting for the news that she knew would come despite her hopes and prays. Her parents and her little brother had been in a fatal car crash whilst she was at cheer leading practice, her brother and father had died upon impact but her mother was holding onto life by a thread, in the back of Karma's mind she knew her mother had lost too much blood but she refused to acknowledge it.  It had been a hit and run, the police suspect the driver was drunk but it didn't matter, whoever they were they had single handedly destroyed a family, killed  people and broken me forever. I hope they were happy because i never would be again.

I heard the footsteps but didn't look up as i slowly dragged myself out of the uncomfortable chair, my whole body shaking and just slumped in a defeated way, i looked up at the solem and apologetic doctor with my lifeless eyes waiting for the words that would end me.

I'm so very sorry Karma, we did everything we could but it was too late. Your Mothers dead Karma.

Vaguely i felt his hand on my shoulder and then he walked away leaving me alone his sympathy and compassion, the last i would ever feel as the ice filled my veins before enclozing my heart leaving me frozen. I was aware of my estranged Aunt arriving with dryed tears on her cheeks and pain in her eyes as she wrapped me in a hug asking all the right questions which i replied to with the same lifless nods and shakes until she bundeled me up and out of the hospital back to my home which i guess was hers now to.

Shaking my head at her offer for dinner i waked up the steps to my bright pink room with clothes strewn other the floor and walls coverd in cheerleading trophies, insprational quotes and photos with my many friends. I returned to school the very next day with people rushing to comfort me, telling me they understood when they never would but i remained emotionless and slowly over the days, my friends got sick of excusing my snide and hurtfull remarks and angry glares, the school stopped making excuses for me skipping school, not doing the work, failing my classes and smoking and drinking on campus. Instead of pity and sympathy stares, the people who once adored and revored me, the head cheerleader and most popular girl in the school had learned to hate and fear me, i was known for having a quick and dangerous temper, a kid once asked me if i was ok when someone had mentioned my family and id put them in hostpital, id been supsended and nearly expelled, i was well on my way to being held back a grade, id quit the cheerleading team and broken up with my very sweet but cliche quaterback boyfriend.

People used to say that i proved that Karma really wasnt a bitch, i guess they were wrong.

Id lost everything and pushed everyone away, i was cold, hard, angry, hurting and shattered into pieces too small to put back together. i was screaming for help but no one could here me because the walls of my self built prison were too high.

"Your the bitch right?" asked a sarcastic voice to my left, i turned as i slammed my locker shut looking at the short happy girl with vivid lilac hair and a floral dress, wedges and a brown leather jacket she was the total opposite of my dull brown hair, black tank, ripped grey jeans, hoodie and combat boots, the dark black bags under my dead eyes contrasted her thickly lined sparkling ones. I hadnt seen her before so she must be new but someone had clearly kindly informed her of who i was, how sweet of them.

"Im Rosabelle or just Rosie, i though you might want to eat lunch together bitch?" shes asked pointlessly as she grabbed my arm and draggged me in the direction of the cafeteria as she babbled about the hideous orange of the school corridor walls, too stunned to stop her i let a tiny smile creep onto my face as my heart filled with hope.

Id lost everything and id never get it back but maybe if the girl with a heart of pure gold gave me a chance and took the risk to help me, i may have a chance to become someone new, someone real, someone alive. 

I could move on.