Chapter 1

All of the moments that went rushing through her head. Maya Hart was the one person who wasn't afraid of anything or anyone. And that caused her to live wildly. But now someone else was worried and scared for her. Lucas Friar sat in the Dell Seton Medical Centre, covered in blood, while he saw how his friends were walking up and down the halls.

"Could you stop?" Lucas said looking at Riley as Farkle pulled her in closer for a hug.

"It's okay. She's gonna be okay," Farkle said as Riley shook her head.

"Why did this happen? How could this happen?" Riley asked.

A bunch of kids traveling down to Austin to support their best friend. That is how it started, but the way it ended was Maya getting caught between an aggressive bull and a metal cage. When her friends finally figured out where she was, it was too late. She was injured, and unconscious. Lucas quickly got to her, and got her out of that cage. And then they rushed with her to the hospital.

Emergency surgery. Head injuries. Cuts and bruises all over her body. Maya's chances of living were slim, and her friends didn't know how it would all end, while Lucas blamed himself for everything. Maya was clearly upset that he was still going forward with riding Thomb Stone yet he still went forward with it. And now, Maya was in the hospital undergoing emergency surgery and the possibilities of her not surviving, having permanent paralysis and even being bound to a wheelchair for her whole life, are bigger than anyone can ever imagine.

"Lucas, it's not your fault," Zay said as Lucas looked at his best friend.

"Sure it isn't? I should have listened to Maya and we should have gone home," Lucas said as he stood up.

"Lucas, it would have happened regardless what anyone did. If we went home or whether you went ahead with riding that bull, I think it was meant to happen," Farkle said as Riley exhaled.

"Maya will be fine, guys. Just keep up hope," Riley said.

"I won't say that," the doctor said as Lucas looked at him.

"That was a tight one kids. I'm not going to lie. Maya has many injuries. And some of them could be permanent. We have no idea if it can be rewinded. Maya will need many weeks of physical therapy and after that, we have no guarantee that she will be able to walk again," he said as Lucas exhaled.

"Is she paralyzed?" Lucas asked as the doctor nodded.

"Only time will tell the duration," he said as Lucas exhaled.

"Her life is over," Lucas said as he sat back down.

"She's never going to forgive me," Lucas said.

"Good luck, guys. One person at a time can go in, but she is still asleep. Call me if you kids need anything."

Lucas exhaled as he sat back down while his friends looked at him. Without them knowing it, the hardest time of their lives were ahead of them.