Chapter 1

Chapter 1: A Small Town Tragedy

''No Lemon cakes today.'' said Mrs Ahuja.

''Alright!'' replied her assistant. He never asks questions. Does he know the answers or just hates his job and wants to finish as soon as he can. Pushkar wondered.

''Mrs Sharma' s birthday today, so have to prepare a river themed cake for her. You on it, Shravan?"

"Yes mam"

The mist clung to the quiet streets of Pendulum, sun has no plans of showing up even in the afternoons, Pushkar stepped out of the Bread and Butter, his worn apron still tied around his waist. The scent of freshly baked bread and pastries lingered in the air, enveloping the small town with a comforting aroma. It was just another ordinary day or so he thought.

Bread and Butter, what a classic name Mrs Ahuja thought or maybe she didn't put the effort in thinking of a name. But she sure put an effort in establishing it as the best bakery around. Mrs Ahuja is your old school baker in an age where she loves scolding boys around the bakery and hates overly talkative girls.

As he walked past the stream that meandered through the town, called Marlyn, something caught his eye. He paused, peering through the trees, his heart beating at pace of racehorse, he saw , there, partially submerged in the shallow water, was a figure. It took him a moment to comprehend what he was seeing - a lifeless body.

Panic surged through him and made him nauseous as he fumbled for his phone, fingers trembling. He dialed the emergency number, his voice strained as he reported the shocking discovery. Within minutes, the tranquility of Pendulum city was shattered, replaced by the wailing sirens and the arrival of the local police. Detective Tiwari at his pace walked to the spot and the news spread.

The townsfolk gathered, a mix of curiosity and concern etched on their faces. Pendulum was a calm and serene city with less people but more close knit community. Whispers spread like wildfire, speculating about the identity of the victim and the circumstances surrounding their demise. The body was found in not so bad condition so detective Tiwari considered the timing of the horrifying event to be the night before. The somber mood settled upon the community, casting a shadow over the once idyllic town.

As the police started scattering people and noting their words Pushkar's gaze shifted toward the bakery, its recently cleaned windows reflecting the growing unease within him. His features stressed and depicting his disbelief that such darkness could lurk beneath the cheerful facade of their everyday lives. He could see a silent Mrs. Ahuja, who now stood by the stream, her face pale and filled with anguish unable to answer the policeman asking if she saw anything.

"Ah! I know this shirt." Someone said from the crowd.

A resident of Road 4 neighbourhood identified the shirt worn by the victim as her own designed custom made shirt. This clue led the Detective to identify the victim. Aditya Malhotra, son of Mr Ramnath Malhotra, the resident of Bunglow 26, Carnations Road.

Rumors quickly surfaced, linking the victim to Mrs. Ahuja's tumultuous past. Ramnath Malhotra also known to be the charmer in his age was ex husband of Mrs Ahuja. Birth of Aditya to his girlfriend led to the separation. Mrs Ahuja never failed to show her disgust to Aditya over the years. The town's suspicion fell heavily upon her, and the police took her into custody. As they led her away, protests of her innocence fell on deaf ears. But Pushkar couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to the story, that the truth was yet to be revealed. he had seen the anguish in her eyes, the pain and shock of someone she knew so close being dead. She never had a son of her own, the only boy to call her mother was Aditya. Pushkar had witnessed first hand how she treated him. Yes, she was not loving to him but she wasn't hating him all this time. Would a person filled with hatred for him take the effort to bake his favorite lemon cake and send it anonymously on his birthday? Pushkar was the messenger between them. He knew she never hated him. She only hated his father.

In the days that followed, the weight of the accusation pressed upon Pushkar's young shoulders. Last year of school was already getting difficult to survive and he had to bear his father's expectations over it. But still, he couldn't fathom Mrs. Ahuja as a killer, not the woman who had taught him the art of crafting delicate pastries and gave him life lessons in her scoldings. Determined to uncover the truth, he embarked on his own investigation, fueled by a mix of curiosity, loyalty, and a strong sense of justice.

Little did Pushkar know, this would be the beginning of a journey that would unravel the secrets buried beneath the surface of a happy Pendulum. He began considering his steps of action.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows over the stream, Pushkar made a silent vow to himself -to find justice for the victim, to clear Mrs. Ahuja's name, and to restore the peace that had been shattered in their small town of Pendulum.

Love,
Zindagi