His last goodbye

He was really gone. Another tragedy within the high school. It was the 2nd death this year. Is this actually real? Surrounding his death box was a girl. But it wasn't his mother; or anyone he knew at all... Who was this mysterious girl?..

"Evie!" A distant voice announced. The girl looked away from the oak wood coffin. She didn't appear upset at all, nor did she look pleased with the 13-year old's death. All attention was brought upon this strange girl. She didn't seem dangerous. Her shoulder-length blonde hair covered some of her face, and a baggy, grey jumper covered her small body.

"Evie, come sit down!" The voice shouted again. Quietly, she walked towards the crowd of organised seats which comforted crying children all around. After everyone was seated, the priest began to speak softly:

"We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of 13-year-old Solomon Rushton, who sadly took his own life early Sunday morning..." He continued as people sobbed endlessly. It was tragic, and they all knew that. But was it really unexpected? "He was barely even a teenager when he was taken away from us..."

Early that year, another student, Hailey Parker, took her life on what seemed like a normal Tuesday afternoon. Surely this isn't a coincidence. It can't be. The rate of teenage suicides was rapidly increasing with more over 2400 a day of children ages 12-16. It was a national emergency!

Solomon was fairly popular in school, but he didn't play sports or date the hot cheerleaders; he was the nerdy year 8 that people relied on for his knowledge. Every test, every class discussion, every piece of homework assigned to the class, he had to help at least one other pupil. Denying their request would leave him extremely anxious of how they would react. His home life wasn't too bad, but it wasn't great. Years of his mum's boyfriends left him with social anxiety and quiet 24/7. Most people in his year knew who he was, but not so much those from other year groups. Despite this, his suicide came as a huge shock to everyone. He did leave a note to his family, but didn't give a specific reason for his decisions. It was obvious people talked about it in school, but it was never heard in the corridors. Teachers didn't bring it up after the assembly for him.

The girl from the funeral, Evie, was the only person that tried to help out. Posters, fliers, memorials, all designed by her in his memory and in Hailey Parker from months prior. She looked different in school. Her uniform revealed her bones. Her limbs were bones, her eyes were dark, her hair was thin. No one really saw her around school, maybe because she could not be found during lunch break. Where did she go every day? Unlike all of the other girls at the school, she kept her skirt as long as it went; no folding, no tying, nothing. She doesn't even wear shorts in P.E anymore, though she once did in Year 8. On that day, she was exposed; more specifically her legs. The mixture of purple and white lines permanently fixed upon her skin. Never again after that day did she ever reveal herself in the same way because of the stares and comments she got from pupils and teachers. One teacher referred her to the school counsellor, who was about as useful as talking to a rock. He simply told her to stop. No advice, no help, no comfort, no nothing. "Just stop, it's not that hard". It was difficult to believe this guy was a professional. Maybe he knew something about Solomon before he died...