Blood and Arrows

How can people turn into someone you know, close to you, and you have ever loved turn into someone who would make you bleed?

It was a cold foggy dusk when our twisted fate begun. I went out wearing a dark green velvety cloak to go in the deep forest in the mountains near the castle riding my white horse, Theodore. At three in the morning, riding alone without any servants and guards following, I had peace. It was my little secret and and escape from the sickening routine I do.

A few meters on my favourite spot, I feel elated to see the vast grey skies and beneath it was the pristine flowing waters. I smiled.

"Yes, Theo, we're here", I mumbled. I was about to get down when an arrow hit the tree beside me, a few inches and it will hit my horse, causing him to panic and jumping wildly. It took a few minutes to calm him. I sighed, and rushed to the arrow that nearly killed us.

Sharp point, fine feathers. "Looks like someone is here for a hunt", intentionally saying it loud with all seriousness without looking as I heard footsteps coming from the northwest side of the woods.

"Oh I am so sorry. I was practicing archery and I was trying to hit the birds. I am really didn't mean to hurt anyone. Please forgi–" "Enough. That is enough. All is well." I cut him off before he could kneel. He looks scared and was panting from running towards me. I  walked northward towards my favourite spot, where the peak of the waterfalls is, leaving Theo there.

The smell of the waters gushing down below was refreshing, I listened for a minute, its sound was like a lullaby, so I sat down and lean on the pine tree, not taking off the cloak, just to be safe that he'll not recognize me.

"You're still here", talking to him while eyes closed as he sat beside me silently. The silence stayed for a long while. I slowly opened my eyes to see what he was doing. "Fuc–", he groaned. "What was that for?" angrily, he asked. I just smacked the back of his head that's why.

"Will you stop releasing those arrows if you don't even know how to hold the bow?" I said, teasing him. He just scoffed and sulked. "You're annoying", he said. When I look back at him, his glaring blue grey eyes met mine. I couldn't help but to stare at it. "You too. You're here in my spot" I replied after a short pause, still looking at him, fighting like in a staring contest. I couldn't stand it so I broke first. "I shall leave", hurrying to stand and go. With the small patience I have, I whistled to call for Theo.

Ready to leave when he called me. "Hey, it was nice meeting you", he smiled. I just nod and departed.

Back to the castle, I went straight to my bedroom before the maid awoke and dress me up for the day. I sighed. I tried to sleep again, but the encounter I had earlier popped out. If I go back, will he be there?

The maid entered. And the routine began. The lady maid helped me dress up, she'd be there when I eat, and accompany me to the governess to study painting, music, literature, history and so many more. It was exhausting and ever since, I was so busy.

I was thinking if I should go back to the woods as I missed the sound of the waterfall, however, I cannot. The king wanted me to go with him for a public appearance in Germany. We stayed there for a month.

After a month

On our way home, I sat beside the window, watching the road to the mountain, enthralled to ride and rest into the woods. But it was still too dark because it was midnight when we reached the castle, so I had to sleep, I was tired.

Now is the time to go out when everyone's still sleeping and busy preparing for the day. A safe time that no one notices whom is doing whatever.

I was walking hurriedly towards the kitchen as there was a way back of the castle and where the servants enter and leave, and carelessly I bumped into the cook. My heart stopped for a beat and pounded so fast.