chapter 1

(a/n): i gained a new hyperfixation which is love island the game!! imo, the game is very pg - seemingly written for younger teens - so i will be taking a crack at writing something more realistic(?) but only from the perspective of the show. so like the game, we won't see anything about what the characters do in their outside lives.. i've never read fanfic about this game before; i don't even know if people write any but.. this is my best attempt!!

-

you always had this attitude about life; that maybe if you treated everything like an experiment, approached everything with an angle, then maybe it would be funny to just observe as an outsider. for a long time, that's what you were. but suddenly, that comforting level of detachment was about to disappear. since a friend dared you to audition for love island, and you did so just to see what would happen, but it seemed that the unimaginable is what happened. because you were somehow selected to compete in the show - as one of the original cast members, no less.

you worried about how you would be perceived; how the show would affect your reputation. but none of those worries paled in comparison to the prospect of winning £50,000. more accurately, £25,000, you told yourself. since no one ever seems to take the entire prize for themselves. but, since they let someone like you in this year, you reasoned that perhaps anything would be possible.

you kept that faint optimism in your metaphorical back pocket, as the first day of filming finally rolled around, and you found yourself strutting into the luxurious villa in your favorite little bikini. trying to look nonchalant, you looked down at the ground, catching a glimpse of your fresh pedicure in your beachy cork wedges. though, your aura of aloofness faded as you stepped inside, stopping at the first mirror you saw to fix your hair.

standing by the entrance to the living room, you heard a car engine approach, and shortly afterwards a slender girl sporting box braids and a vibrant bikini got out to greet you.

she seemed confident yet reserved, though you both squealed in excitement as you laid eyes on each other.

hope: hey! it's so great to meet you! i'm hope.

her skin was deep with cool undertones that perfectly complemented her canary yellow eyeshadow. her arms were toned as she opened them to give you a hug.

you: i'm (Y/N). isn't it crazy we're the first ones here?

hope: babe, i almost fell flat on my face getting out of the jeep, i couldn't contain myself.

you: hopefully later tonight we'll be flat on our backs!

you and hope both erupted in laughs, though you silently cursed yourself for opening with such a crass joke. it would definitely become a meme, at least in your hometown.

you: so hope, what do you do?

hope: oh i'm a sales rep for mattel. my job is mostly just asking stores to carry our products, but it's quite easy, not gonna lie. who doesn't love barbie?

you: oh my god, that sounds like a dream.

hope: it is, to be fair. but i've become quite the workaholic, it's kinda interfering with my love life, which is why i need something like this!

the clack of heels against the marble floor interrupted your conversation. turning to the door, you were greeted by a tall, pale figure with flowing pastel purple hair.

lottie: hey girls! i'm lottie, nice to meet you both.

you were immediately intrigued by her australian accent. most of her body was covered in tattoos and she wore a black strappy bikini, her side shave becoming noticeable when she turned towards hope.