Out Of Control

After a long and exhausting day, Michael and Belle went upstairs to check on their children. They had already entered the room when they heard them conversing about something while watching cartoons. In the show, the main characters go shopping for clothes and shoes.

"So that's what you mean by shopping," Prince said, referring to what they were watching.

"Yeah," Paris replied, looking at her brother with a puzzled expression. "We've never gone shopping in a mall," Paris said, staring at the screen. "I want to go there!"

"We don't have to go there; we have everything here at Neverland," Prince replied to his sister. "Why? Would you like another toy?"

Paris made a shaky motion with her head. "No." she said, "There's a lot of it here," She groaned. "But I wish I could go there and experience what it's like to play in there," she explains.

Prince fell silent and, after a time, looked at his sister. "I overheard Dad and Mom talking once, and they said that it's dangerous for us to go to crowded places," he said as he played with his leggo.

"Why?" Paris asked, tucking her favorite doll against her chest, forgetting about the cartoons they were watching.

Prince sighed and shrugged. "I don't know," he replied. "I think Mom and Dad were famous," he says. "That makes you and me famous too!"

"How come we're famous?" Paris asked again. "I thought we're just rich," She asked and thought about it briefly. "Uh, I said we're rich because we have a big house and a lot of helpers. I don't think most houses are as big as ours." Paris went on. "And we have our plane and helicopter. I think some kids have cars at home and nothing else,"

"Auh," Prince thought for a moment and pouted. "Perhaps we're famous because we're rich!"

Michael and Belle, listening in secret to their children's innocent conversations, look at each other with sad faces. They suddenly felt bad that their fame meant they couldn't give their children a normal childhood. Their children are unaware that their Dad is a superstar and their mom is a supermodel. From what they know, their parents are just like everyone else's, not the kind of parents who are always in the news and on TV. Prince and Paris had no idea because they were never allowed to watch the news or a regular TV show. All of the movies they can manage are taped and recorded, and they're okay with it---and they're too young to understand.

"Paris?" Prince then asked. "Do you know why our Dad and Mom were always in magazines?" he asked. "Why are people waving at us when we're outside?" he wondered.

Paris nodded, agreeing with her brother's remark. "Auhm, yeah?" she asked. "And they're screaming when they see Dad and so many people taking pictures of us,"

"And so many people know our names," Prince added.

Before their conversation became more serious, Michael clasped his wife's hand in his and gently drew her to their children.

"It's bedtime, muchkins," Michael said, smiling at their children, who grinned at the sight of them.

"Aww, but I'm not yet sleepy, Daddy!" Paris frowned.

"Please, Mommy and Daddy, just one more cartoon!" Prince begged.

Michael and Belle chuckled as they carried their children to their beds for a good night's sleep.

"Oh, no, dears, it's already nine o'clock, and it's late," Belle exclaimed.

Prince and Paris both whined and appeared crying and ready to throw a tantrum.

Michael let out a sigh. He thought he knew exactly what to do to quiet them. "All right, let's make a deal: if you sleep now, we'll go shopping tomorrow. How about that?"