Chapter 17

I left the tombs yesterday feeling lighter. I tried to remember Yettas words of making Xander proud and being the Queen he would want me to be. I woke this morning and trained with Cal. He tried his best to get me to talk about what happened yesterday with Azra but I kept my answers vague. Truth was it was a disaster. I hope today would be better but I wasn't going to rely on his help alone. I headed to the library, to search for any information that could help in any way big or small.

"Hello, your grace." The head librarian and the person who gave me constant headaches from all the lessons he taught me growing up greeted me with a quick bow.

"Hello Alfred. How are you?" I smiled.

"Yes, yes, I'm very well. What is it you want?" I was Stunned by his abruptness. I guess me being queen now doesn't mean he will treat me any different. He ushered me into the silent library. This library was one of many throughout our realm, this one being the biggest. The ceiling was so high I could barely make out the intricate designs. A dozen spiral staircases lead to aisles upon aisles of tall bookcases filled to the brim with books of all ages. Large round dark wood circle tables filled the ground floor offering plenty of space for students and other curious minds to study in peace. The place was silent apart from the turning of pages and screeching of chairs as students nearby left the area upon seeing my presence. When I was little me and Xander would trick Alfred and sneak away from our lessons and hide among the books. This place was so large that Alfred wouldn't bother to come look for us and we'd giggle while peeking over the balconies as he cursed us and huffed while shuffling back to his office at the libraries entrance.

"Well..." I didn't quite know how to approach this situation. He would think even less of me if he knew I couldn't control this magic that was suppose to keep everyone safe.

"Well what? Come on spit it out." Even now standing before him as the Queen of the realm I still felt a little intimidated. He was probably one of the most, if not the oldest living fae in this realm.

"I was wondering if you have any books on...light magic. Specifically that of royal blood." I asked.

Alfred tilted his head and raised an eyebrow at me. Contemplating my words.

"I see..." he spun around and took off in the direction of a staircase. "Follow me." He called over his shoulder.

I half ran to keep up with the old man. His white hair and hunched stature made me wonder just how old is he? I know fae who are thousands of years old and still look like they're in their prime. He must be ancient. As though he could hear my thoughts Alfred threw me a displeased look over his shoulder. "Hurry up now I don't have all day." He began climbing the stairs like it was nothing and when I reached the top I had to catch my breath before speed walking again to keep up with him. He led me to a quieter area of the library, and summoned a ball of fae light to the nearest lantern. Warm light flickered off the shelves lighting up rows of old and new books of various colours and as we came to a stop I read a sign that said 'Royalty and high borns'

Alfred slowly walked down the aisle and picked out a few books like he knew exactly where the books where that he was looking for. He shoved them in my arms and tapped the top one. I strained from the weight of the thick stack of books.

"These should do it. There should be something here that you can find useful."

I eyed the titles 'royal lines and ties, the book of light, history of the light realm, magic and posions volume 1, the power of light, the magical tales of magical beings' and then one simply titled 'heartbonds by Cecily Hartingstone' I peered up at Alfred. "Thank you." I smiled.

"Yes. Yes." Alfred huffed and began walking back the way we came. " Just make sure you put them back where they belong" he called over his shoulder and I breathed a sigh of relief when he wasted no time leaving me alone.