Chapter 1: Unlucky Day

Edited on 17/12/2023

Present:

Setting: Home

Bountiful cherry blossoms sprinkled the runway. The sounds of people clapping and cheering filled the silence that is otherwise present if not for today's grand event. Wedding bells chimed, groomsmen and bridesmaid lined along the audience's periphery of the stage. The wedding officiant stood between the bride and groom.

I could see my Mum and Dad, and my sister, Monica, seated at the front row of the line of  audience to witness this wedding. With handkerchiefs held firmly in their hands, it seems as though they were preparing for their tears to uncontrollably flow from their tear glands.

Blinking my own tears away, I look around the venue to marvel at the beautiful ornaments. The marriage ceremony is held in the garden. With cute little clear balls containing tiny people wearing formal wedding attire ,inhabiting what seems to be an igloo or the Sahara desert. Light-pink, burgundy and maroon chrysanthemum petals dotted the red carpet that is evenly spread across the centre of the stage. The perfectly straightened red carpet seemed a little intimidating for me as its appearance gives off a demure but also rather bold demeanour.

I was slightly shivering and slowly swaying my feet in an effort to fight off the nerves. The groom , with his blurred face, generously took my hand in his, blew a short warm breath and rubbed my hands in his in an effort to keep me warm. For someone I do not know, the tender care he took of my hand was enough for my heart to melt into a pool of love and longing.

Returning his gesture with a small smile, I cannot deny the fact that whoever this guy is, I will never be able to bring myself to hate him for the life of me. Which was why, when the officiant said "Do you swear to take Violet Scott as your beloved bride?" , when he replied with "I do." I feel compelled to marry him this second despite his anonymity.

The officiant then said "Violet, I promise to cherish you always, to honour and sustain you, in sickness and in health, in poverty and in wealth, and to be true to you in all things until death alone shall part us. Do you swear to return the gesture and take him as your beloved groom?" urging me to respond.

"I-" 

Before I could finish my sentence, it started to pour. The rain seeped into the seams of my gown and permeated my skin to enter into my ribs.

The water filled my lungs like a tsunami swallowing up the whole of a city. I screamed so loud a "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"....but no one heard a thing.

-

Ow!

I rubbed the top of my head where it will bruise a few hours later.

Heavy eyelids, unkempt hair, feet in shoes, are just a few signs of my party-goer alter-ego emerging underneath the calm and composed usual self I try my best to maintain.

My head already met with the hardwood floor. Lips practically kissing the cold floorboards. Rubbing my eyes to try to wash the fatigue away, my brain started flashing glimpses of what happened last night...

-

Dimly-lit house lights. People dancing. Red cups passed around.

"Truth!" someone shouted.

"Who, within this circle, is the best kisser?" another asked.

"Nick Gallagher." said someone replied. How does she know that?

"Violet! Your turn." the person turned their head towards me.

"Dare."

"I dare you to kiss the person you like."