Chapter 1

I had been staring at the ceiling for almost an hour; I couldn't sleep that morning. It was the only time of the year when the alarm clock was delayed by half an hour, since we didn't have morning practice on the first day of school, yet even earlier than usual, I was already up. When I finally heard the Inazuma band ringing, I decided to get up. I took a quick shower; having short hair, I didn't need much time. I had decided to cut it down to my chin because I got tired of taking so long to dry it after soccer games. I still remembered amused Sirius and Ethan's expressions when I introduced myself to them like that. I searched the closet for my uniform. It had been several weeks since I had last put it on, yet I wasn't even sure where I had put it down anymore. April had just started, but my birthday had been a few days past. It was strange to start seventh grade already at fourteen, yet I was not the oldest in my class. One of my best friends, Ethan Blaze, had been born on January 1 and to be with us had decided not to go a year ahead. Hanging on a crutch I found the white blouse, skirt-pants, and ribbon, which would form the bow. Without fussing too much I put it all on, with the addition of a matching orange scarf that I used as a sort of headband. I grabbed the bag, already meticulously prepared the night before, from on top of the desk chair and ran to the kitchen. Sitting at the breakfast table I found my father intent on chatting with my mother. The legendary Mark Evans had not changed much, although he was now an adult on his face one could still see the signs of youth, and the same was true of his beloved wife. In short, they were a couple that seemed almost unflappable over time, which I didn't mind at all.

«Gabriella, are you up yet?» The woman asked as she prepared a plate of rusks, probably inedible.

«Yes, I'm used to the usual alarm clock by now. I can't sleep much anymore.»

«Will you sit down and eat with us?» I felt the blood freeze inside me. Mom's culinary skills could only create chemical weapons. Fortunately, at that time I did not need to make up an excuse, and thus the risk of being caught making up a colossal lie was zeroed.

«I'd like to; however, I promised the boys we'd have breakfast together at Camp by the River.»

«All right. Have a good first day of school. Don't come back too late because you're stopping to practice at the tower.»

«I'm sorry, but I can't promise such an unrealistic thing.» I burst out laughing, closely followed by the former Raimon player. Instead, she looked at me distraught, and sighed.

«I've given up now. I can never see you being interested in anything female.»

«Hey, dance I did, and I still go several times a week in the evening to keep myself even more fit! Think positive, that's something.-I checked the time on the band. -I'd better get moving. I'll see you later at the clubhouse Dad.» At the entrance, I put on the All-Stars and walked toward Sirius' house.

If mine could be considered very large, the boy's was a real castle. The Sharp family mansion was truly immense, complete with butlers and maids. Although only very wealthy families lived in the area, theirs was the most imposing. This did not surprise me so much, they could count on the money they made as a soccer player, the profits of Sharp Industry, the most important construction company in the country, and salaries of his father as Commander of the Royal Academy and of his mother as a surgeon. I rang the doorbell and the head of the service staff answered before I even had a chance to count to two.

«Hello, this is Gabriella Evans. Can you tell Sirius to come out?»

«Certainly.» I waited a few moments, walking back and forth along the street, unable to sit still because of my hyperactivity. It took five minutes before the man emerged from the doorway, as composed and elegant as ever. His precise gait almost made him seem out of place among us, who were instead totally let go. Behind him, I caught a glimpse of Uncle Jude waving to me and then walking back into the house. I had to admit that all three of us had been very lucky with our fathers. We had a great relationship with them, perhaps because we were so related. The same youthful passions and character. To make it more fun, they had arranged for the director to be my godfather, my father to be Ethan's, and Axel to be the Moors who were joining me. I directed my gaze to my best friend. His loose shoulder-length hair was fluttering around in the slight breeze, while his crimson eyes were on me. I loved seeing him change his style during different parts of the day. Wearing sweatpants, he would tie his hair into a low ponytail, and over his sweatshirt, we would see his beloved cape again. The total transformation, however, we would only admire during practice or games; to complete the former look, he would even put on his old man's historic goggles.

«Right on time as usual.»

«Did you doubt that? Let me remind you that it's the Blaze family that has the perpetual tardiness gene.»

«Do you think we should kick him out of bed?»

«I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.» I replied, giggling. We loved the blondie, the third member of our trio, but he really had a lot of problems with the clock, and we often had to run the marathon so as not to be late for morning workouts.

Arriving at the intersection that led either to the school or to our friend's house, we were both dumbfounded. Leaning against a lamppost was a bored, or rather still sleepy-looking boy, who despite his fatigue never lost that model-worthy attitude. If a picture had been taken of him at that instant, I could have sworn it would have come out perfect. He ran a hand through his cream-colored hair short on one side and long on the other, which covered his right blue eye. He fiddled with the Inazuma headband, waiting for someone.

«Do you see what I see?»

«In my opinion he is sick. There is no way Ethan is early.»

«Now I'm worried.» Hearing us speak, the blond man looked up in our direction.

«I'm perfectly fine. Only my father dragged me to the bathroom this morning, otherwise, I'd still be in dreamland.»

«There, it seemed strange to me that he did that of his own free will.» Sirius asserted, bursting out laughing. That one reserved a dirty look for him from the other, who at that point waved a bag in front of us. I mentally exulted, it could only mean one thing, European breakfast!

«Look, if you keep cracking jokes at me, I might eat all the croissants myself.»

«Mine too?» I asked, rolling my eyes. I knew that was the attacker's weakness. He might look cold and bitchy, but if I was in the way he would melt like an ice cube in the sun and the tough-guy look wouldn't last for even a second.

«But if you do that, though, how can I be the bad guy?» He complained disconsolately.

«This could become a super technique this, cuddly eyes!»

«If it works on others as it did on me, we won't even get a goal anymore.»

«You are two idiots. If I remember correctly, I took very few goals last year.»

«Sure, sure.» He started patting me on the back as if he wanted to comfort me. I was about to electrocute him, however, then I remembered something. The best way to win a confrontation, however ironic, with Ethan, was to play to his pride.

«In any case, I have parried more shots than you have scored.» He assumed a mock-offended expression worthy of an Oscar. He was the usual drama queen, if he didn't make enough of a scene, he would never be happy.

«Do you want to keep teasing, or are we going to eat those croissants and walk to school?» The director was always too conscientious, knowing us we could have talked for another hour forgetting about classes.

«Let's go.» I grabbed the bag and started moving in the right direction cheerfully.

«Do we have to?»

«Move sloth!»