Chapter One - Accidental New Arrivals

Private was excited. After all, why wouldn't he be? The zoo had just got a shipment for two new animals to join their ranks! Hopefully these two would turn out to be good guys so they can stay longer than most new arrivals had in the past. Like Clemson, Rhonda, Lulu (well...she wasn't evil but she was only around for a bit...)

But he could hope! Maybe Lady Luck'll shine upon them today. That would be nice.

After stacking up to unlock the door to the mailroom, the four penguins made their ways inside, each one flipping into the air and landing on the floor, save for Private on the bottom, simply stepping inside. Looking around at all the crates in the room, they each stepped up to tap on the sides, listening to see if they could tell what was inside, like a child guessing their Christmas present. It took a moment of searching, but eventually, Kowalski's voice piped up.

"I've found it!! Over here!"

The other three made their ways over, and Rico heaved up a crowbar. Skipper grabbed it from right in front of Rico and wedged it into one of the sides of the crate.

Pushing it open, the leader kicked the board across the floor and the boys turned their attention to the contents of the crate.

Two penguins. One large, one small. The large one was leaned against the side of the crate, presumably either sleeping or resting their eyes (or...single eye, in this case,) the shorter had their head on the taller's shoulder, fully asleep, even letting out a snore. They were wrapped up in a fuzzy pink blanket, hiding most of their body.

The large penguin opened their single eye, and the boys were greeted by pure ruby red, curiously examining each of them. They all blinked a couple of times before Private decided to speak up.

"H-hello! Welcome to the zoo! I'm Private! Are you guys alright?"

The taller penguin looked down at their companion with their brow slightly raised, but they replied.

"Uh- hi," she had a high-pitched, strong New Yorker accent (which was surprising, considering the logo on the sticker on the crate belonged to that of the Indianapolis Zoo.)

Her gaze returned to the penguin next to her. "C'mon, kiddo, get up," her voice was nothing but gentle as she nudged the kid next to her. After a moment, they opened their eyes, and the boys suddenly burst out laughing...all of them except Private. Instead, he had an almost concerned look, but it turned to surprise as Skipper leaned on him.

"The kid looks just like you, Private!"

The smaller bird stood, shuffling the blanket off and revealing that...yeah. This kid looked like an exact replica of Private, almost like some sort of clone...save for the red bowtie.

They yawned, shaking their head to wake up before hopping up onto their feet energetically. "Well!!" He spoke in a voice that was quite a lot like Private's – a British accent with lots of energy. "This is quite strange. Everyone we had consulted said Hoboken had no penguins. So...I'll presume you lot are eitha' brand new, or some strange looking puffins. Of course...it was said that there only was one..."

Skipper's grin fell from his expression, and he couldn't decide which he should be feeling, offended or concerned.

He decided on a little bit of both.

"Puffins?! I'm sorry, squirt, but we ain't no puffins, we're penguins, just like you said!" Then his brow furrowed further. "But why would you two be going to Hoboken?"

The one-eyed penguin stood up, but she accidentally slammed her head on the top of the crate. Instinctively, she snarled at it before ramming her fist into it...and breaking it into a million little pieces.