•PREQUEL : Chapter 1•

Part 1: A Night of Unrequited Love and Sorrow

•OLIVIA•

The moon hung low in the midnight sky, casting a melancholic glow over Nueva York as I stood outside the dimly lit bar with an umbrella hung over my head. The rain poured relentlessly, its heavy droplets creating a symphony of melancholy against the city streets. It had been weeks since I had last seen him, and the longing in my heart had become unbearable. Every breath felt heavy, each moment without him an eternity of loneliness. But tonight, I had gathered the courage to confront my feelings, to confess the depths of my love to a man who would never reciprocate.

I pushed open the door and stepped into the hazy atmosphere, the familiar smell of alcohol and desperation filling my senses. As my eyes adjusted to the dimness, I caught sight of him sitting alone at the bar, a half-empty glass of whiskey cradled in his hands. He looked lost, as if the weight of the world rested upon his weary shoulders. He, who goes by the name of Miguel O'hara aka Spider-Man: 2099. He, who used to live a happy life in another universe that wasn't his, with a sweet daughter named Gabriella. Unfortunately, the illusion of a happy life slowly collapsed as that same universe got destroyed because of a disrupted canon event. Miguel who disrupted that same canon event. Miguel who destroyed that happy universe with his daughter.

His ebony hair clung to his forehead, dampened by the rain, accentuating the chiseled lines of his face. Eyes the color of stormy seas reflected the tumultuous emotions that churned within him, as if they held the weight of a thousand unshed tears. Miguel's lips, once curved in a tender smile, now remained locked in a perpetual frown, betraying the pain etched deep within his soul.

Summoning all the courage within me, I walked towards him, my heart pounding in my chest like a trapped bird. He glanced up, his eyes meeting mine for a fleeting moment before returning to his glass. It was then that I knew, deep down, that my love for him was nothing more than a futile endeavor.

"Hey," I whispered, my voice barely audible amidst the clinking of glasses and distant laughter. "Mind if I join you?"

He hesitated, his gaze fixed on his drink. After a moment that felt like an eternity, he nodded slightly, and I slid onto the stool beside him, my heart somersaulting in my chest. We exchanged awkward pleasantries, meaningless words that floated in the air, disguising the truth that lay heavy between us.

We met the day I accidentally opened a portal after working day and nights to perfect this new watch. It's purpose was to help teleport people in our universe, but I didn't know this random stone Eric gave me to build the quadrant would expand my dream even more. With hopes of creating a revolutionary new gadget, I kept opening portals and exploring many universes, to learn more about the limits of this watch.
During my exploration I realized it only teleported me to cities where different versions of a super hero lived : Spider-Man. Every time I encountered someone by the name of Peter Parker the quadrant of the watch would glow.
Learning more about the backstory of this hero me and Eric found out they all had something in common, to become Spider-Man you must be bitten by a radioactive spider.

One day by opening a random portal, I ended up in a laboratory and thats when I saw him. He stood there, bathed in a soft ray of sunlight, as if the universe had conspired to illuminate his presence. Time seemed to halt, the noise around me fading into a distant murmur. In that instant, the world dissolved, leaving only him and me, our souls inexplicably connected.
He noticed me, approached me slowly then started questioning me on who am I, why is a stranger here and what are my motives. I was about to explain myself when I could see the quadrant of my watch glowing, there was no doubt the man in front of me was the Spider-Man of this city. We kept talking when I gave him a watch and explained my project and how it didn't turn out quite like I imagined it first but better.
Ever since then we kept meeting be it at my universe or his, we were great friends and he knew that I was aware of his "hero secret". But I felt like something divided us, something that made us stay friends and nothing more.