| ⁴¹

With the worst headache, Cleo slipped into Dawn's car and stared out of the window, her head leaning against the cool windowpane, sobbing quietly to herself. Her best friend's hand rested on her thigh, trying to give her some comfort on their way to her apartment.

Dawn had been honest with her after she was released from the hospital and told her about the short conversation she had with Jax and that she tried to stop him from doing something stupid. And now here she sat, in her friend's car, not knowing where her boyfriend was and if he'd ever come back to her.

As much as she wanted Gemma gone, Cleo hoped Jax and Happy wouldn't find her. The brunette wasn't religious by any means, but she prayed to God that Jax would come back home to her and their kids. Even if she seemed strong most of the time, which she was, yet she wouldn't survive losing the love of her life.

They had been through so much shit already and still stuck together while other couples would have broken up long ago if they had been in their shoes. But every stone thrown in their way had only made their relationship stronger and brought the two closer together. In good and in bad times. This is exactly the promise they wanted to give each other in a few weeks.

She didn't care about the fact that she had seen her father getting shot after he had threatened her daughter and tried to lure her with drugs. He didn't deserve anything else after what he had done. Secretly, it hurt her bad that money was more important to him than her and his granddaughter, that he would seriously have killed her for a few hundred thousand dollars, but right now she didn't have time to think about her daddy issues.

It was much more important to make her statement so that they would release Enrico and then find Jax. That was all that mattered. Her kids were taken care of by Lyla, who herself was impatiently awaiting any sign of life from Happy.

"He'll come back home, Cleo", Dawn spoke softly after she parked her car in the parking lot of the police station.

"If he killed her then..then he w-won't come back", she chocked out between lots of heart-wrenching sobs as she buried her face in her hands, feeling broken like she never did before. The uncertainty was the worst part.

All she felt was pain. Also physical pain, yes, but it was the emotional pain, the fear, the sorrow that caused her heart to shatter. Jax was gone since hours, he wasn't answering his phone and neither did Happy. Those weren't good signs.

"Cleo, come on." Full of concern, Dawn unbuckled herself and then Cleo before pulling her into a hug. It wasn't the most comfortable position they were in but the Trager woman couldn't care less. She really understood the anger Jax felt towards his mother and the revenge he wanted to get, but right now she wanted to slap him across the face for worrying her best friend so much that she was afraid the brunette would faint in her arms. "We get Enrico out of there and then we're gonna get you home. Well, to our apartment."

She gently pushed the brunette away from her so she could cup Cleo's tear-streaked face into her hands. Her make up was everywhere and so was the blood. The staff in the hospital has only cleaned her face in the area where the big laceration was which, by the way, was covered with a large band-aid.

Dawn just shook her head and muttered something under her breath. They really could've cleaned up her face better. Getting out a bag of wet wipes out of the glove box in her car, she made sure to clean up her friend's face. The tears didn't seem to stop falling anytime soon and Dawn had no idea anymore how to calm her down.

"I-I'm sorry", the slightly younger one sniffled, her voice scratchy and hoarse from her dry throat and all the sobbing.

"Don't be. It would be weird if you wouldn't be upset, baby", Dawn assured her with a sad smile and tugged strands of Cleo's hair, glued and matted with blood and sweat, behind her ear. She'd definitely help her get a shower once they were at her and Enrico's apartment. "Are you sure you can do this? I want Enrico out of there but I understand if you can't do it right now."