SEVEN - HAGRID'S HIPPOGRIFFS!

CASSIE WATCHED HAGRID CURIOUSLY, her nerves were so bad after her encounter with Lee

CASSIE WATCHED HAGRID CURIOUSLY, her nerves were so bad after her encounter with Lee. Cedric expressed his concerns, and it turned out he was just scared that if she became confident and became her old self again, she would find other friends and talk more to them than she does to him. Cassie assured him that was not the case, and despite still being reluctant, he now couldn't wait to hear her commentate with Lee.

Hagrid was saying how he had a treat for the class, which made Cassie's perk up a bit. She walked closer to Callie, Hermione, Ron and Harry, placing herself in between her twin and the dark-haired boy.

"Everyone gather 'round the fence here!" Hagrid called. "That's it—make sure yeh can see—now, firs' thing yeh'll want ter do is open yer books—"

"How?" said the cold, drawling voice of Draco Malfoy.

"Eh?" said Hagrid.

"How do we open our books?" Malfoy repeated. He took out his copy of The Monster Book of Monsters, which he had bound shut with a length of rope. Cassie looked at her open book, which was different to everybody else's books, they had all belted it shut, or used rope.

"Hasn'—hasn' anyone bin able ter open their books?" said Hagrid, looking crestfallen.

"Cassie have," Callie spoke up, giving the girl a small nudge. Step one on how to get old Cassie back, make her answer something in class, or, in this case, tell everyone how to do something. Lee had immediately told Aurora, Fred and George what McGonagall had told him, and the three repeated it to Callie, Harry, Ron and Hermione in hopes that they could do something in class.

Cassie paled and her hair was now a light pink as everybody stared at her with eager eyes. "Y-You just have t-to stroke it -- the, uh, th-the spine of it," She said, her voice shaking and her face a light pink. Callie beamed, stroking the book's spine, and immediately it fell open.

"Oh, how silly we've all been!" Malfoy sneered. "We should have stroked them! Why didn't we guess!"

"I—I thought they were funny," Hagrid said uncertainly to Hermione.

"Oh, tremendously funny!" said Malfoy. "Really witty, giving us books that'll rip our heads off."

"Shut up, Malfoy," said Harry quietly. Hagrid's face fell, and Cassie immediately felt bad. Her eyes narrowed in Draco's direction, but she didn't say or do anything.

"Righ' then," said Hagrid, who seemed to have lost his thread, "so—so yeh've got yer books an'—an'—now yeh need the Magical Creatures. Yeah. So I'll go an' get 'em. Hang on..."

He strode away from them into the forest and out of sight.

"God, this place has gone to the dogs," said Malfoy loudly. "Wait until my father hears that Dumbledore's got this oaf teaching classes."

"Shut up, Malfoy," Harry said, much louder than last time.

"Careful, Potter, there's a dementor behind you—"

"Oooooooh!" squealed Lavender Brown, pointing toward the opposite side of the paddock.

Trotting toward them were a dozen of the most bizarre creatures Cassie had ever seen. She knew what they were immediately. She found them fascinating, but she never got to see one in person. They had the bodies, hind legs, and tails of horses, but the front legs, wings, and heads of what seemed to be giant eagles, with cruel, steel-colored beaks and large, brilliantly orange eyes. The talons on their front legs were half a foot long and deadly looking. Each of the beasts had a thick leather collar around its neck, which was attached to a long chain, and the ends of all of these were held in the vast hands of Hagrid, who came jogging into the paddock behind the creatures.

They were hippogriffs. Callie smiled as she saw the look of amazement on Cassie's face. She looked eager to approach them, she wanted to approach them so bad.

"Hippogriffs!" Hagrid roared happily, waving a hand at them. "Beau'iful, aren' they?"

Cassie was rocking with excitement, her hands twiddling together.

"So," said Hagrid, rubbing his hands together and beaming around, "if yeh wan' ter come a bit nearer—"

Cassie pulled Callie along with her, her sister's friends following rather cautiously.

"Now, firs' thing yeh gotta know abou' hippogriffs is, they're proud," said Hagrid. "Easily offended, hippogriffs are. Don't never insult one, 'cause it might be the last thing yeh do. Yeh always wait fer the hippogriff ter make the firs' move. It's polite, see? Yeh walk toward him, and yeh bow, an' yeh wait. If he bows back, yeh're allowed ter touch him. If he doesn' bow, then get away from him sharpish, 'cause those talons hurt. Right—who wants ter go first?"

Nobody said anything, however seeing the look on Cassie's face, Callie smirked, "Cassie will," she said. Cassie froze. Sure, she wanted to, but she didn't want everyone staring at her. Her hair turned pink.

"What," Cassie harshly whispered. However, seeing the smile appear on Hagrid's face, she sighed. "N-No, Harry'll do it." She said, her eyes widening.

Harry knew Cassie wanted to do it, the look on her face gave it away, "I'll do it with you," He said, before lowering his voice, "That way you won't have people staring at just you -- it'll be the both of us."

Cassie smiled. She didn't really know the boy, but he was so sweet and caring, and Cassie couldn't deny he was good looking, too. She gave a small nod, "Okay," she muttered, letting Harry grab her hand and pull her forward.

There was an intake of breath from behind him, and both Lavender and Parvati whispered, "Oooh, no, Harry, remember your tea leaves!"

Callie groaned, "Shut the fuck up about his tea leaves." She snapped, "It's just a load of bullshit."

Harry climbed over the fence first, before helping Cassie over. Cassie gave him a small sheepish smile. She could not believe she was standing in front of the class and they were staring at her. Her heart pounded nervously, hammering against her ribcage -- she was sure Harry could hear it, it was that loud.

"Right then—let's see how yeh both get on with Buckbeak." Hagrid said, untying one of the chains and pulling a grey hippogriff away from the others. He took the leather collar off Buckbeak, and everyone could see the excitement grow on Cassie's face.

"She's co cute," Hermione muttered, her eyes stuck to the blonde up by Harry.

"Easy, now, guys," said Hagrid quietly. "Yeh've got eye contact, now try not ter blink... Hippogriffs don' trust yeh if yeh blink too much..."

Cassie seemed to do it with ease, her eyes not closing. Harry's eyes seemed to water, but he wasn't shutting them. Buckbeak had turned his great, sharp head and was staring at the two teens with one fierce orange eye.

"Tha's it," said Hagrid. "Tha's it, Cassie, Harry... now, bow..."

The two bowed, and immediately Buckbeak seemed to bow back.

"Righ' then," said Hagrid. "I reckon he might' let yeh two ride him!"

Cassie's head shot in Hagrid's direction, eyes widening and mouth slightly parted. "What?" Harry said, sharing a look with Cassie. Hagrid lifted them onto Buckbeak, Cassie in front of Harry. Harry pursed his lips, "Ah, fuck."

A/N: Anyways, as cute as this chapter is, the next chapter has a VERY cute scene with Harry and Cassie. And then, all hell breaks loose with Pansy, Callie, and Cassie (not really Cassie, but it's because of her).
QOTD: what's a random funfact about yourself?
AOTD: i love to write poems!