EIGHT - MALFOY'S DEATH WISH!

CASSIE FELT BUCKBEAK TILT BOTH TEENS BACK, and her head turned away from the students watching as she shut her eyes

CASSIE FELT BUCKBEAK TILT BOTH TEENS BACK, and her head turned away from the students watching as she shut her eyes. She could feel his wings spread on either side of her, and she could feel the wind in her hair, blowing it into Harry's face. Still not looking, she reached her hands behind her head and tied her hair into a low ponytail, so it wouldn't hit Harry in the face.

Harry gasped in amazement, they were incredibly high in the air. The view was amazing; he could see the castle, the quidditch pitch, the forbidden forest, he could practically see everything...

He looked at Cassie, who refused to open her eyes. She hated heights. "Cassie," he whispered into her ear, "Open your eyes, trust me."

Cassie shook her head, "I don't want to," she muttered, "I hate heights. They make me sick."

Harry gazed at her, a small smile on his lips. "Just trust me."

"You've been bad luck to this school, I am not trusting you," Cassie muttered, nevertheless, she opened her eyes, curious to see why Harry desperately wanted her to trust him. She let out a gasp, her eyes widening. And then, she looked down. Unconsciously, she leaned back into Harry, laying her head in the crook of his neck and staring upwards so she didn't have to look down.

Harry smiled, placing his arms around her waist so she could feel a tiny bit more safe. She did. Suddenly, Buckbeak leaned down and was now flying close to the black lake. Cassie was starting to enjoy it, and she leaned over, letting her hands delicately touch the water. Harry tightened his grip so she didn't fall off.

She sat herself back upstraight. The view was beautiful, and Cassie regretted not opening her eyes sooner. "See?" Harry said as Buckbeak began flying back down to the class, "It wasn't that bad."

Cassie smiled, and even though Harry couldn't see it, he knew it was a smile of amazement and joy. As Buckbeak landed, the class applauded. Callie, Ron and Hermione being the loudest. Callie was incredibly proud of her sister. She had just overcome one of her fears, which was another step closer to her old self.

"Good work, guys!" roared Hagrid as everyone except Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle cheered. "Okay, who else wants a go?"

Seeing the success from Harry and Cassie, all of the class cautiously climbed into the paddock. One by one, Hagrid untied the hippogriffs, and soon enough, people were bowing nervously. Neville, however, ran back from his because his just didn't want to bow. Cassie frowned, she felt bad for the poor boy.

Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle had taken over Buckbeak. He had bowed to Malfoy, who was now patting his beak, looking disdainful. Cassie watched their every move, having a feeling that Draco would probably try something.

"This is very easy," Malfoy drawled, making Cassie stiffen. Something was going to happen to Malfoy, she could feel it. She was pretty sure Malfoy had a death wish. "I knew it must have been, if Potter and the Hufflepuff could do it... I bet you're not dangerous at all, are you?" he said to the hippogriff. "Are you, you great ugly brute?"

It happened in a flash of steely talons; Malfoy let out a high-pitched scream and next moment, Hagrid was wrestling Buckbeak back into his collar as he strained to get at Malfoy, who lay curled in the grass, blood blossoming over his robes.

Cassie had gasped in shock, her eyes widening as she stepped backwards and bumped into Harry. Harry didn't pay no attention to Draco, as his eyes were now fixed on the blonde next to him. Callie eyed Harry, winking at him when she caught his eye.

"I'm dying!" Malfoy yelled as the class panicked. "I'm dying, look at me! It's killed me!"

"Yer not dyin'!" said Hagrid, who had gone very white. "Someone help me—gotta get him outta here—"

Immediately, Cassie had ran to open the gate, wanting Malfoy to get the help he needed quickly. The blood from Draco's arm trailed behind Hagrid as he ran up the slope and towards the castle. Very shaken, the Care of Magical Creatures class followed at a walk. The Slytherins were all shouting about Hagrid, and Cassie was holding onto Callie's hand, her teeth tugging at her lips, pulling off all the dry skin.

"They should fire him straight away!" said Pansy Parkinson, who was in tears.

"It was Malfoy's fault!" snapped Dean Thomas. Crabbe and Goyle flexed their muscles threateningly. Dean, however, didn't back down. He stared back, narrowing his eyes. Cassie thought it looked as if a fight was about to break out. Thankfully, a fight didn't break out and the class all remained calm, at that moment.

"Yeah," said Callie, making Cassie hold her breath. She didn't want her sister to get into a fight. "If Malfoy hadn't been a prick for once, and actually listened to what Hagrid said, he would've known not to insult Buckbeak."

"Well, that oaf shouldn't have had such dangerous beasts in our lesson," Pansy spat viciously, tears strolling down her face.

"Buckbeak isn't dangerous," Cassie spoke up quietly, immediately regretting her decision when Pansy snapped her head into her direction. Callie kept a tight grip on Cassie's hand, while Harry, Ron and Hermione moved closer to the Hufflepuff. Dean, Neville and Seamus also came closer to the girl, trying to shield her from Pansy's view.

"Well, well, well," said Pansy, tilting her head with a smirk, "So, it doesn't actually have a stutter. I don't even know why I'm surprised that you fake having one, must be for attention from the boys, you sl—"

Callie swung forward, connecting her first with Pansy's nose. "Don't you ever talk to or about my sister like that ever again, or I swear I will fucking learn the unforgiveables just for you. Got it?"

Pansy held her bleeding nose, while the Gryffindor's stared at her in amazement. Cassie, however, had already rushed off. She had felt the tears threatening to spill the second Callie lurched forward and slammed her first into Pansy's face.

She didn't know why she had gone to the girls toilets. Perhaps it was the peace she knew she'd get, she wasn't in the mood to eat or talk to anyone. However, the not talking to someone idea was thrown out the window. The more her cries became louder, the more she could hear someone copying her.

Cassie froze, biting her lip to help her hold her breath. Breathing had become harder for the girl. Her heart hammered against her ribcage, her hands shook uncontrollably, her blonde hair was a shade of blue, and her nose was running like mad. Her lips had turned chapped as she tried to calm herself down by breathing in through her nose and out through her mouth.

It hurt.

She felt like she couldn't move. She almost felt as if she was paralysed. Her legs felt like jelly, and as she stood up, she could feel them shake as they struggled to hold her up. Breathe, she took a deep breath in, and slowly let it out. Breathe, she took another deep breath in, and slowly let it out.

"Miss Smith?" came a familiar voice, "Would you like to come have a chat with me?"

A/N: I love how Callie protects Cassie, and I love the first scene. Trust me, (pun intended), there is another very cute scene with Harry and Cassie coming up.
QOTD: if you could have one magical creature, what would it be?
AOTD: a niffler because they're my favourite!