ELEVEN - LOONY LOOPY LUPIN!

CASSIE DREADED GOING TO DADA, but she had no choice

CASSIE DREADED GOING TO DADA, but she had no choice. To get over her fear, she needed to face her fear. However, she didn't think she'd be quite literally facing it. When she entered the classroom, Lupin wasn't there and Cassie let out a sigh of relief.

Callie moved to stand by Cassie, placing her hand in her own. This lesson was going to be hard for the both of them, but worse for Cassie who used to adore their father. They all sat down, took out their books, quills, and parchment, and were talking when he finally entered the room. Lupin smiled vaguely and placed his tatty old briefcase on the teacher's desk. He tried not to let his eyes go to Cassie and Callie, but it was a struggle.

"Good afternoon," he said. "Would you please put all your books back in your bags. Today's will be a practical lesson. You will need only your wands."

A few curious looks were exchanged as the class put away their books. Cassie, however, was nervous. She didn't even like being in the classroom with him, nevermind a few inches away from him. The only practical DADA class Classie had, was one where Lockhart had set Cornish Pixies free. Cassie remembered that she was the first one out that door. She wasn't staying in a classroom with scary, flying blue things.

"Right then," said Professor Lupin, when everyone was ready. "If you'd follow me."

Puzzled but interested, the class got to its feet and followed Professor Lupin out of the classroom. He led them along the deserted corridor and around a corner, where the first thing they saw was Peeves the Poltergeist, who was floating upside down in midair and stuffing the nearest keyhole with chewing gum.

Cassie crossed her arms, holding her wand tightly in her hand. Her knuckles were turning white.

Peeves didn't look up until Professor Lupin was two feet away; then he wiggled his curly-toed feet and broke into song.

"Loony, loopy Lupin," Peeves sang. "Loony, loopy Lupin, loony, loopy Lupin—"

Rude and unmanageable as he almost always was, Peeves usually showed some respect toward the teachers. Everyone looked quickly at Professor Lupin to see how he would take this; to their surprise, he was still smiling. Cassie and Callie, however, weren't surprised.

"I'd take that gum out of the keyhole if I were you, Peeves," he said pleasantly. "Mr. Filch won't be able to get in to his brooms."

Filch was the Hogwarts caretaker, a bad-tempered, failed wizard who waged a constant war against the students and, indeed, Peeves. However, Peeves paid no attention to Professor Lupin's words, except to blow a loud wet raspberry.

Cassie and Callie exchanged grins, they both loved Peeves, he always somehow made Cassie smile whenever he saw her.

Professor Lupin gave a small sigh and took out his wand.

"This is a useful little spell," he told the class over his shoulder, making eye contact with Callie. She gave him a weak smile. Remus cleared his throat. "Please watch closely."

He raised the wand to shoulder height, said, "Waddiwasi!" and pointed it at Peeves.

With the force of a bullet, the wad of chewing gum shot out of the keyhole and straight down Peeves's left nostril; he whirled upright and zoomed away, cursing.

"Cool, sir!" said Dean Thomas in amazement.

"Thank you, Dean," said Professor Lupin, putting his wand away again. "Shall we proceed?"

They set off again, the class looking at shabby Professor Lupin with increased respect. He led them down a second corridor and stopped, right outside the staffroom door.

"Inside, please," said Professor Lupin, opening it and standing back.

The staffroom, a long, paneled room full of old, mismatched chairs, was empty except for one teacher. Professor Snape was sitting in a low armchair, and he looked around as the class filed in. His eyes were glittering and there was a nasty sneer playing around his mouth. As Professor Lupin came in and made to close the door behind him, Snape said, "Leave it open, Lupin. I'd rather not witness this."

He got to his feet and strode past the class, his black robes billowing behind him. At the doorway he turned on his heel and said, "Possibly no one's warned you, Lupin, but this class contains Neville Longbottom. I would advise you not to entrust him with anything difficult. Not unless Miss Granger is hissing instructions in his ear."

Callie looked like she was ready to punch him.

Professor Lupin had raised his eyebrows.

"I was hoping that Neville would assist me with the first stage of the operation," he said, "and I am sure he will perform it admirably."

Neville's face went red. Snape's lip curled, but he left, shutting the door with a snap.

"Now, then," said Professor Lupin, beckoning the class toward the end of the room, where there was nothing but an old wardrobe where the teachers kept their spare robes. As Professor Lupin went to stand next to it, the wardrobe gave a sudden wobble, banging off the wall.

"Nothing to worry about," said Professor Lupin calmly because a few people had jumped backward in alarm. "There's a boggart in there."

Cassie clenched her fists. A boggart. Of all things, they were doing boggarts. Cassie didn't even know what feared her the most. She always thought of a loved ones death, but that didn't scare her. Death was natural, it came to anyone. Perhaps abandonment was her fear? Remus did it to her all those years ago, maybe she was scared to be abandoned by another family member? Or, maybe her fear was people not liking her for who she actually was, that's why she was shy and quiet. She thought Remus didn't like the way that she was, so she changed herself so other people could like her more.

Everybody always liked the innocent girl, who was too shy and quiet. It made people intrigued, it made them want to know more about her. And Cassie hated the fact that she was slowly going back to her old self. It would just make Remus disappear all over again.

"Boggarts like dark, enclosed spaces," said Professor Lupin. "Wardrobes, the gap beneath beds, the cupboards under sinks—I've even met one that had lodged itself in a grandfather clock. This one moved in yesterday afternoon, and I asked the headmaster if the staff would leave it to give my third years some practice. So, the first question we must ask ourselves is, what is a boggart?"

A/N: icl, this chapter is just shit.
QOTD: what would be your boggart?
AOTD: probably being forgotten!