Prologue

I hear a gunshot and instinctively duck to the hard cement ground.
I'm going to die, I think as my heart races and blood pulses in my ears. I'm going to die and nobody will know until tomorrow, maybe they won't know at all. My face pales as a thought forms in my head, What if they think I've gone missing? What if they don't realize I've been murdered?
Another gunshot and I notice my attacker is shooting blindly... In the wrong direction. I run as fast as I can with my lungs aching enough to remind me to continue. I have to get help. I'm so close to the hospital, they're always open.
I'm almost there, but I don't slow my pace until I reach the door- which I practically slam myself into- and as I'm pulling open the door, I hear another gunshot.
This time I feel a searing, practically agonizing pain in my hip. Looking down I cry out, making out the blood in the glow of the hospital lights.
"Help!" I cry with my voice hoarse, "Please, someone help!" I bang on the door as I sit down on the ground, my head spinning like a wheel.
My attacker comes towards me, face concealed by the shadows.
"Please, let me live." I sob.
"You don't deserve that opportunity." My attacker snaps, I'm unsure whether the voice is male or female.
I look up at this person with every last drop of bravery I have left, "At least show me who you are."
The attacker steps into the hospital's glow and my breath catches in my throat, "No."
They nod with a nasty chuckle, "yes."
The attacker lifts their gun to my forehead and pulls the trigger.
The whole world is swallowed in a black cloud. I hear nothing, I see nothing and I smell nothing.
I feel nothing but cold.