Chapter 1

It was an ordinary afternoon after school, where I dash out of class as soon as the bell rings. I'm on my way to the locker rooms where I meet my team, faced with many of my friends stripping down into their uniforms. I cruise down to my locker. "You're eager for today aren't you Jeffery" My lips curl upwards as I joke.

"Aw yeah man totally. Today's the day where you finally become captain."  A light tone responds. I slip my shirt over my head in hurry to make my way onto the field. My eyes are blinded by the blazing sun for a moment, until I come to realise stupid Karl standing there beside the coach, as if they were going to make a certain announcement. Jacob and I do our manly handshake as he goes past to stand with Mason.

"Welcome everyone, thank you all for coming to today's meeting. It's about time the new season started and now that Phil and Jimmy graduated we need new Captains." Coach  announced.

"Hell yeah, Phil and Jimmy were too lame. We needed better team captains." Mason jumped with joy.

"Pipe down son, or its 50 burpees for you" Mason goes quiet after coach's threat, almost like a kicked puppy.

"Just imagine it's going to be me mate" I whisper hopefully at Jeffery.

"Ooh, that's where you're wrong. It's all spelled out for you mate. Too late." Jeffery comments.

Bro what is Jeffery talking about i'm obviously about to become team captain, and become the biggest chick magnet in the school. Despite the proud fact that I prefer my own team, it's quite disappointing. Jeffery elbows me.

"Get out of your head mate, he's about to announce who the captains are. I was just joking before, c'mon.  You've surely got a chance." Jeffery says as a hand gets clapped on my back. I simply just sigh and leave the comfort of my thoughts and bring myself back down to earth.

"I believe our best performing and most passionate players would be captains. This prevents captains from being picked based on popularity and not on skill, and so because of that I have decided our new captain and vice captain should be." Coach drawed out

The anticipation was killing me, I could feel myself sweating, the beads of sweat forming on my forehead, the sweat drenching my neck. I almost started to bite my nails, a habit I abandoned. What if coach Bill actually chooses Karl as captain? I know I always boast about how great I am about footy, but am I actually good enough to become captain?

"Thank you for your patience. Our captain and vice captain of 2023 are Karl Mcferson and Jeremy Smith. Now get back on that field and do a 5 laps of field, then we'll get started" Coach roars

I'm shocked, my jaw hangs open. Jeffery closes it and remarks "That's a bummer man, you'll get it next year for sure." Karl looks over at me with the blankest, coldest expression then turns on his heel and leaves for the field in a hurry.

"There isn't a next year, it's only if someone graduates. He's in the same year as us, meaning I won't move up" I respond dejected " What good I am being vice captain anyway, all the decisions will be made by Karl. Well, now that I think of it, coach Bill has always had a favouring of Karl. What's up with that! This is unfair." Jeffery pulls me onto the field, always keeping me out of trouble. What an angel right?

"You're right, one thing for sure and that's coach playing favourites" Jefferey huffs beside me as we jog at a steady pace ensuring that we won't be last. Karl jogs past Jeffery and I, he's probably on his second lap by now. But the real question is did he hear us? Jeffery and I look at each, thinking the same thing. Jeffery shrugs his shoulders.

"Eh, who cares really. What's he going to do, we both know what I said is right."

Karl has always been an outcast, I really don't know how he does it. Maybe he likes being mysterious and shit. Y'know for the attention, the facade. The girls eat up the mysterious bad boy charade. Karl has been acting like this ever since he transferred 1 year ago, I'm surprised the girls haven't gotten over him yet. Is this really a facade?