A.N.I 001

"Dad, when will mom come home?" Her pearl like eyes gazed at me, longing for an answer, longing for her mother.

"I......I'm not sure dear." I struggled to find the words "But I'm know she misses you with all heart and cant wait to see you." I forced a smile, trying to comfort her.

"Promise?" she begged for assurance, for certainty. Unsure if her heart could bear to be disillusioned, to discover that her father was a liar. 

"Promise." He said with a heavy heart. As he stared down at her mother's grave. Her name engraved on the tombstone, Clara Oswald, too simple to read for an adult and too difficult for a 5 year old. 

"She's beautiful." My daughter smiled as she looked longingly at her mother's statue.

"She is, isn't she." I couldn't help but marvel at the marble that had been sculpted into the feminine and delicate shape of my wife.  It had been carved to perfection, down to the most microscopic and irrelevant details of her veins, stretch marks, freckles and the folding of her clothes. It was a masterpiece worthy of being immortalized in history. 

It invoked a bitter joy in me. Because if i looked at the figure of the marble statue from a distance, i could see my wife, out of her tomb, standing in the land of the living. And for a moment, just a moment, my heart sang with joy at the sight of my wife, at the mother of my child.

And my legs, as though with a mind of their own would run to her, "No, NO!" my heart would cry, "Please, STOP!!" . I knew all too well, that if i drew any closer, i would not meet my wife, i would not see her warm smile, only a cold mimicry of it.

"I wish i could be with mom." Amelia sighed 

And winds howled and stirred, as though were waiting of her  say those words and give the command.

My hands grasped her tighter and i heard a crackling sound, like stone breaking and grinding. I judged that it was about to rain and it was time to leave. But before we left, i stole one last glance at the sculpture of my wife, and im certain that it is just my imagination, but that grin on her face, was not there a moment ago.

It didn't take us long to reach home, maybe it did and we did not realize the passage of time. 

I ordered pizza, the most delicious one they had, extra toppings, cheese and million other things food critique go crazy over.

"I miss mom's food."

"Me too dear, me too."

That was our entire conversation. As we ate in silence, as I longingly reminisced about the days when dinner was the brightest, most lively part of our days. And now, it had reduced to this. I hated it and yet, what could i do about it?

Like every other day, it was eventually time to sleep. Unlike ever other day, Amelia didn't protest. She kissed her dad goodnight and headed to her room.

"Mom.....why did you leave us?" She sobbed under pillow. Her heart was uncertain whether she was sad that her mother left her, or angry that her mother left her.

"Dad says you miss me. But if you do, why are did you leave me without saying good bye? Why don't you answer dad's calls? Why are you taking so long to come home? Its almost like you've disappeared from our lives!!" her little heart cried out in silence.

She didn't know her mother was gone, and yet she knew that this was nothing like the times when her mother would leave to buy grocery. Something about this felt, wrong.

"Would you like to meet her again?" It asked

Amelia was uncertain whether it was a dream or not. And yet, how did it matter? The answer would be the same regardless.

"Can you take me to her?" she asked hesitantly, her soul almost did not believe it, somehow the offer seemed too good to be true

"Of course, of course. All you need to do, is take my hand." the shadowy creature stretched out the bones that remained of his hand. And she took it.

"Amelia, AMELIA, AMELIA!!!!" her father cried out as he searched for her up and down, in every room, every corner, inside every cupboard, under every chair and yet he found no one. He was alone in the house.

 His heart beat was fast enough to put him in danger of heart attack. 

"Where is she." He broke down, he did not begin to recover from the loss of his wife and now he couldn't find his daughter, he was on the brink of collapse and despair.

"I wish i could find her."  and as he said those words, as thought something was guiding his mind, he thought of her, his wife, "THE GRAVEYARD !!" he cried out 

As he stood at the gates of the place where the dead laid, he saw her, he found her. He could see the delicate little figure of his daughter Amelia, right next to the sculpture of her mother.

A wave of relief washed over him, as tho the weight of the world was lifted from his shoulder.

"Amelia" he teared up in joy  " I was searching for you everywhere."

As he drew closer to her, his body paralyzed in its place, as a nightmarish reality dawned on him. His daughter, she did not move, not a muscle, she stood impossibly still, inhumanly still as if she were a ......... "NO , NO!!" he cried out as he fell on his knees cradling the marble statue of his daughter his arms.

"Where is she? Where is my daughter?"  He was a broken man now, he lost his wife and could not find his daughter. Only these lifeless mimicries of them.

"Why do you mourn?" It asked

"My daughter....I can't find her." He struggled to cry, breathe and talk at the same time

"But she is right here" It said

"What are saying? There's no one here" He said with grief that slowly morphed into rage

"But she is right here." It said

"If you know where i can find my daughter tell me, if not get lost!!" he yelled

"But she is right here." It smiled "And you will join her."