As free as can be 

Before the story begins I just wanted to say this is the first time I am writing on here so please be kind and enjoy ♥️♥️.

I stopped out of breath. In one hand I held a battered dog lead and in the other I held on tight to Jake. I looked around frantically trying to find him. All I could see was a empty station and some birds high in the sky. How I envied them so much. However the birds couldn't comfort me and my heart was still racing. Thoughts filled my head. Could we finally get away? I held back tears I had to be strong for him. I looked down at Jake jumping in a shallow puddle giggling while saying "jump with me mr sunny". He was wearing his worn out yellow boots. He's so unaware of how dangerous this is.

I'm sat here on our sofa 2 years later and I can still see those worn out yellow boots laying on the floor. With a smile on my face and my arm wrapped around Jake. I can't help thinking why did we get so lucky?

I stood waiting impatiently for the train. Jake sat on the smooth cold bench. He yawned and rub his heavy eyes. Then he asked 'when is the train coming I'm tried'? I walked over to him and crouched down 'I know your tried sweetie but the train will be here soon'. I sat down with him while our Golden retriever sunny laid on the damp floor.

I look at sunny now laying on the couch. I pat him, looking at his aged face. Even though he now adorns some grey hairs he still acts like a puppy most of the time.

Eventually the train entered the station. Coming to a halt. I picked up Jake who was sleeping by now. I took a deep breath and looked down at sunny wagging his sun kissed golden tale. I knew life would be hard out there, but it couldn't be as hard as what we where running from. I stepped onto the train. I couldn't believe it. This was my first step of freedom. When I heard a shout. My eyes widened . Was it him? Did he find us? I did not dare look back.

Sometimes I still hear those shouts. Less these days but I still hear them on occasion.

I just continued to rush down the train carriage as I heard the doors closing shut. I found some seats for us. I sat and finally took a sigh off relief I was free. I looked out the greasy train window and saw him giving me the most disgusted stare. I turned away he couldn't get me not now. As the train sped away I tried to sleep. However I couldn't because I would always end up remembering the horrible place we had just escaped from.

Evan to this day those memories haunt me.

1996-four years before i was free.
I was 14. I rushed home realising i was 20 minutes late. My mind rushing to think of an acceptable excuse for my lateness. As I walked closer to my home my mouth went dry. My hands shaking, tears welled in my eyes. I looked up and saw the birds. How I longed to be like them. I placed my hand on the door knob and took a deep breath. I opened it and stepped inside.

I stop wondering if I want to remember what happened in that house. I breath looking around at my apartment. He can't get me not anymore. I then continue to recount my childhood.

I shut the door and walked over to a crying baby Jake and a hungry sunny. I pushed passed the deep brown empty bottles. That's when I heard him "why are you so late"? He growled. "M-my bus that's all" I stuttered. He walked over to me he towered over me "you know your responsibilities in this house you know what time you need to be here" "i-i know it won't happen again". "Better not" he snarled I stood there and felt like a bull in a china shop. Nothing I did was good enough.

I still feel like that sometimes. Thoughts consume me. A voice coming into my head telling me everything he said was right and I deserve what happened to me. I have tried so hard to get rid of that voice. So many therapy sessions. So much hard work. But I guess that voice will always be apart of me.