Kirby Reed Bio

Kirby Reed

General Information

Other Names

The Sidekick (trope/literary technique; also self-referenced in original script)

Genre Nut (By Robbie)

Age

18 (fourth film)

25 (seen in 2018 thumbnail image in fifth film, an image from three years prior to Legacy Killings)

30 (sixth film)

Born

1993

Personality

Ex-tomboy

Horror film geek

Quirky

Sole teen survivor

Occupation

Woodsboro High School student (class of 2012)

Law enforcement officer/agent

Home

Atlanta, Georgia (current)

329 Whispering Lane, Woodsboro, California (formerly)

Goal

To survive the Woodsboro Remake killings (succeeded)

To catch the tenth Ghostface killer (succeeded)

Status

Alive

Appearances

Scream 4 (2011 film)

Scream (2022 film) (thumbnail still only)

Scream VI (2023 film)

Relationships

Charlie Walker (Boyfriend)

Relatives

Unnamed parents (unseen/mentioned in deleted scene)

Allies

Olivia Morris † (true friend)

Robbie Mercer † (true friend)

Trevor Sheldon † (acquaintance; possible friend)

Sidney Prescott (Kirby's hero)

Dewey Riley † (friend)

Gale Weathers (acquaintance)

Samantha Carpenter (former schoolmate)

Tara Carpenter (former neighbor)

Mindy Meeks-Martin (fellow film geek)

Chad Meeks-Martin (former neighbor)

Enemies

Charlie Walker † (attempted killer)

Jill Roberts † (ex-best friend) (conspirator to her planned death)

Ethan Landry † (attempted killer)

Quinn Bailey † (framing conspirator)

Detective Wayne Bailey † (framing conspirator)

Actors/Actresses

Portrayed by

Hayden Panettiere

Special Agent Kirby Reed is the sole teenage survivor of the Second Woodsboro Murders (2011), known as the "Woodsboro Massacre Remake", the highest body count and most violent massacre of all Ghostface killing sprees. She is also an investigator, attempted framing victim, and survivor of the New York Killings (2023) twelve years later.

A former resident of Woodsboro, California, she now works in the Atlanta office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and comes to New York City to investigates the sixth Ghostface killings.

She was introduced in Scream 4 (2011) as a main character, and reappears as a main character in the sixth film (2023). She initially appears to serve as the "side-kick archetype", with her best friend, Jill Roberts serving as the new Final Girl, until she subverts it with all the younger characters indirectly revolving around her by the film's climax, as well as her best friend's role as a psychopath revealed.

Despite her uncertain fate in the climax after being stabbed and bleeding out, Wes Craven, and many fans, asserted that she did not die; Hayden Panettiere was also contractually obligated to not die on-screen.

Her fate was confirmed a decade later, as she re-appears via video thumbnail in Scream (2022 film). She is shown having given a Bloody Disgusting interview three years prior in 2018. Richie Kirsch observes this on his laptop; the scene occurs ten years after her near-death experience, amid the 2022 Woodsboro Legacy Killings.

Her high school best friends appeared to be Jill and Olivia during the fourth film. She also appears close to Robbie Mercer and Charlie Walker, Cinema Club VP and President, the latter having an obsessive crush on her. Inside her own home, Ghostface terrorizes her during the Stab-A-Thon after-party she hosts to answer questions to save Charlie's life. He betrays her after she unties him, non-fatally stabbing her twice, leaving her to bleed out. Prior to her death and assuming she would get away with it, Jill, the other killer, believed Kirby had died.